3 year old complains of eye pain, but no crusting, no redness
My son is 3 years and 3 months old.  He has been complaining here and there for about 2 months about eye pain only in his left eye.  He has extremely long eyelashes, as do I, and I know that them getting into his eye can be the cause.  But his mention of the eye pain and rubbing has become more frequent, a couple of times a day, sometimes causing him to cry, but it seems to go away pretty quickly.  He complains the most when he lays down for a nap.  But there is no swelling, no conjunctivitis/crust.  Any ideas?  I am thinking a sty?  But it has been going on for so long, is it possible that he would have an infection for that long without showing more ill effects???
I'm thinking see a pediatric ophthalmologist. Find one at www.aao.org

JCHI IMD
Did you ever find out what it was? My 2yr old little girl is doing exactly the same thing. We took her to the GP a few months ago and they made a referral to a pediatric opthalmologist but we still haven't heard about an appointment being scheduled. It seems to be getting worse, she starts crying and clutching her eye at least 5 times a day now. She says her eye is 'sharp' but I don't know if she understands what sharp is. She also has very long eyelashes and I wondered if it could be as simple as them going in her eye but as far as I can see there is nothing in her eye. Also it would be a huge co-incidence if it were exclusively the left eye that always got eyelashes in it - and it always is the left eye she complains of. No outward visible signs of a problem, no redness, no discharge, nothing in the eye that we can see. The only other ideas I have are that it could be related to her being born with narrow tearducts and having goopy eyes as a baby or (hopefully not) migraine related. We are very migrainey people in my family and I started with it as a young child. It does seem to be slightly linked with nap times or tiredness but it really seems to be a pain judging by her reaction rather than bleary-eyed-tired-rubbing. We are taking her to an optician this afternoon since the opthalmologist referral is taking so long.
Well, this is very weird. My almost 4yr old started complaining of this last night and again today.  Just the left eye and she DOES NOT have long eyelashes.  Her eyes look perfectly fine...no redness or anything to speak of.  She rarely complains of any sickness.  I know sometimes when I have been sick my eyes would ache, but I feel like this is different for some reason...and again, what is the coincidence of the left eye?  Let me know if you find anything. I will take her to doctor in two days if still ongoing.
My son will 3 in 3 months and he has been waking up in the middle of the night off and on for a few months now crying almost screaming in pain and saying his eye hurts and it is alwyas his left eye.  I took him to an optometrist and they said they didn't see any problems with his eyes so I am no going to take him to the pediatrician to see where we go from here.  Please update if anybody finds out anything!!!
-
This is very strange my three year old daughter periodically wakes up and complaining about her left eye.  She eyelashes aren't super longer but she did wake up one day and they had closed in her eye and it was obvious bothering her.  That never happened again but she does wake up cupping her eye.  I think I am going to take her to the pedi asap.  I find it alarming that its always the left eye.  does anyone think it could be sinus'?
that is so bizarre, my son that is also 3 years and 3 months (weird) has being complaining that is left eyes hurt...(always have his hand touching the left side of his head close to  his eyes).  He woke up about 3 times in 2 months screaming that his eyes hurt...It happens also mostly when lying down (morning or nigth) pretty much everyday (2 times)...I thought of fatigue at first but why did he wake up at night and why in the morning. I'm hoping it nothing serious...I pust eyes drop but he sreams that it hurt..he told me when he cried it help and it stop hurting that why i think maybe it's because his eyes are dry  It alsoseam that a wet towell on his eyes help. but if it is dry eyes why only on the left side and why does he touch his left head side also. He says no not the head but his eyes....It is dry at our place. I nerve racking to hear your son screams like that when it happens.  He is also very sensitive to light (hates the sun ect..) and had jaundice when he was born but seems like a healthy boys (except for diarrhea quite often).
-
He just develop under his eyes a yellow bruise under his left eyes since 2 weeks and now looks like a excema on the yellow. Anyone else?  I went to see my doctor and he says that he looks healthy and headaches can happen in children and because it doesn't last long 2 minutes average it usually not serious...maybe structural bones in his jaws..and  under his eyes he thinks it's just look like excema the same crust you see on the baby heads...Hoping he's right because find it strange that the same sides has 2 different meanings. conincidence?
=
My daughter is 3.75 years old.  She has been having this for almost a year now...  She seemed to have pain when she had fevers, or was sick (predominantly right eye, but seems to occur in both at times).  It also seems to have been triggered in some cases, or made worse, by light - sensitivity.  Howevery, in the dimmest light, she will still get upset if there is an episode. She has long eye lashes as well, but she is able to tell us if there is something in her eye, as opposed to this issue, which she cannot quite explain, but is quite frantic about the level of pain.  

Since her last cold end of January 2012 when she had a fever and eye pain, it has continued past the cold.  She will rub her eyes and scream, telling us to turn off her nightlight (which is a clear sign to us something is up as she will not normally tolerate going to bed without it - has a fear of the dark).  That all said, when she is fine (no episode), the sunniest days do not bother her.  She is now resorted to licking her hands and then rubbing her eyes to try and help it - which it doesn't.  From this, we thought it might be lack of moisture in her eyes, but the optometrist said her levels were fine.  We have tried giving her eye drops when she does complain, but it does not help.  I thought with the colds, that perhaps it was sinus pressure (esp if lying down, pressure may distribute differently), but her pain/episodes have carried on beyond her cold, as mentioned above, and bending over with head below hips does not bother her (as sinus cold/infection would probably build pressure and make the pain worse).  

Just last week, after seeing the optometrist twice, our GP, we got in to see a pediatric ophthalmologist.  He has chalked it up to "Blonde Retina".  From the very little I can find out about it, it doesn't match.  I am of Japanese decent, and my husband is Caucasian. She is fair (light brown hair, but has brown eyes, brown hair etc.)  Still, I guess she could have it, but everything I have read says she would consistently be sensitive to light.  She is not.  

Family, who are in the medical field are suggesting that we see a neurologist.  If her eyes are fine, then we probably should rule out that there are no impairments neurologically.  Kind of scary sometimes because it is ongoing and if it isn't the eyes, then what is going on?  .. will definitely stay tuned to this post if anyone has any answers...  
My son is 3 year and 8 month old. Recently he began to complain his left eye is painful. I took him to see his general doctor today. There is no redness or infection in his eye. The nurse checked his version by using that shape table.It seems he can not see the small shapes clearly. The doctor suggest us to take him to see a pediatric ophthalmologist. I will make an apointment tomorrow. I remember he always be afraid of bright sunshine.
Is there anybody who got an answer?
What was the outcome?  My son has the same issue.
i would like to know as well because my son is doin the same. i didnt think it would be happening with so many ppl. wow. my son too has always been afraid of bright sunlight. now his left eye is irritating him. it turns a bit red after he has rubbed it but then clears up. i was gonna take him to the doctor but then it cleared and he said it was fine. he did good for a few days and then all of a sudden tonite he woke up screaming that it hurt. cried for about five minutes then went right back to sleep. i would love to know what the outcome was if anyone got answers. i will still take him to the doc but it may take a while to get to the ophthalmologist and i hate seein my baby like this.
So this thread is going on for over 5 years now, but no answers??  Can I ask, has everyone's kids turned out ok this far down the road?  My son, 3 yr 2 mo., has been having same issues. Doesn't like sudden bright light, freaks out occasionally screaming that his left eye hurts, is more tired than usual. GP's don't have any idea, being referred to Paediatrician (appointment on monday) but I'm not feeling very confident that they'll find anything if non of you have gotten any answers.
My son is 9 years old and wakes up crying in the middle of the night with left eye pain. He can't describe it just says his eye hurts. I don't understand what's going on. I also don't understand why no one else has posted what the problem is.  thank you. I'm very concerned and worried.
Angelaem:  Did you ever find anything out?  My son has been complaining about his eyes (both eyes, but right eye seems to bother him more than left) since he was 2 (he just turned 4 this month).  Also no crusting and no redness (although his corneal areas will get red).  He used to only complain when I'd wash his hair and I'd have to immediately grab a towel for him to dry his eyes...now all of a sudden, in the past few weeks, he has been complaining about his eyes hurting nearly every single day!!  He SCREAMS and runs around like a crazy person trying all sorts of things to ease the pain.  He grabs a baby wipe and uses that, he grabs a towel and uses that, he goes to the sink and tries to put water in his eyes, and you can just tell it must be very painful!  I'm thinking it must feel like daggers in his eyes or something with the way he screams!

I have done some research and as far as I can tell, he has dry eye syndrome.  I'm worried because that typically has an underlying cause (i.e., juvenile arthritis of some type, possibly rheumatoid!).  We have an appointment on 4/7/2014 for a pediatric ophthalmologist, but I am so anxious and want to know if anyone else has experienced this.  

We recently purchased some non-preservative artificial tears and that does seem to help "some."  The poor kid, even though he hates the drops, will actually beg for them when his eyes are hurting!  I'm so scared for my little guy.  He's at the doctor's office right now with his father and was just diagnosed with a urinary tract infection :(  

I hope I get some answers on the 7th...I need to know my baby boy is okay.  I have seven children and the rest are all healthy, thank God...but I would fall apart if something were seriously wrong with my one little guy...
My 4 year old son has been complaining of similar symptoms. He has an appointment on April 14, 2014. Hopefully I'll get some answers! I hate seeing him in so much pain.
My son has an appointment on the 14th. Hopefully you'll post the outcome of his visit!
My son has complained of the same thing on and off since the age of 3 (he is turning 4 next month).  I have taken him to a ped allergist, ped ophtamologist, and a ped ENT.  The ped ENT recommended that we remove his adenoids and slim down some part of the inner nose (can't remember the name of it) to help with drainage of the sinuses.  Bottom line, what they thought is was, was difficulty with drainage of the sinuses which causes pressure behind the eye(s).  And this worsens when you are lying down.  When a fever accompanies the complaint of eyes hurting, they thought it was Sinustisis (infection of the sinus).  Here is a link describing what Sinusitis is:  
http://www.seattlechildrens.org/medical-conditions/symptom-index/sinus-pain/
My son was placed on antibiotics twice which did not appear to help at all (before removal of adenoids).  After the surgery, things got a lot better. But last night (about 9 months later), my son woke up with a fever and he complained that both his eyes "hurt" and he wanted me to apply pressure to them.  We are still working on a 'fix.'  I think a nasal rinse would help, but I just need to figure out how to convince my son to cooperate.
Hope this helps, good luck!
My two and a half year old was complaining about a severe pain in her left eye constantly. She usually throws up afterwards with a headache. She was also sensitive to light when she had it. She usually goes on the iPad very often and watches peppa pig on YouTube. For some reason I connected the eye pains with this habit and stopped her from going on the eye pad completely. Thank God now she's fine. I wonder if your little one does the same. And hope it it will help.
Anyone have updates on their children? My daughter has severe eye pain, but no other symptoms. This sounds like many of your children. We feel so helpless as she screams in pain. Any updates would be tremendously appreciated!!
UPDATE:

I took my son to the eye doctor and she said he needed glasses. Which did help for a bit. He still complAined of the eye pain. I ended up taking him back which she said his tear duct was not producing a healthy amount of tears which naturally lubricate our eyes. She had suggested I use an artificial lubricant available over the counter. She did advise against redness reducer but an actually product for dry eyes. I tried that but it didn't seem to help. He still would rub his eyes and pulled his bottom lid down, like something was stuck in there. I finally talked with a physician assistant I work with. He suggested I use an otc product that help with allergies. I ended up finding Visine A. I use one drop in each eye daily. About 2-3 times a week. I also give him oral allergy medication due to horrible allergies. We live in the central valley in California so we're stuck with all the pollution and dust from farming. He has not complained once about his eyes a since I started this regimen. Don't give up on finding answers. I did after my pediatrician kept telling me it was due to pink eye. I couldn't believe that it wouldn't clear up despite repeat treatment of antibiotics. I'm glad I kept searching for an answer. I hope this helps and Good luck to everyone!!!
Thank you for the update! I'm glad your son is doing much better.
My son is 6 years old and the same exact thing is happening to him. He wakes up in the middle of the night screaming in pain. The light bothers his eyes. I don't see any crust buildup or extra mucous. It is always his left eye. He screams it hurts but can't define the pain any more distinctive than that. This has been going on for about 6-8 months. We thought the same thing- that maybe he rubbed his eyes too much and an eyelash got in them. If anyone else found any answers, please post them. Thank you.
So sorry for never coming back.  We were told he has perfect vision and there is nothing they can find of concern.  After that visit, we did purchase a humidifier for his room...he never complained about his eyes again.  After about 2 months, we stopped using the humidifier and he still has not complained at all!!  Weird!  

It very well could have just been "one of those things."  If you have multiple children, you will know what I mean...just weird **** that happens for a while and then boom..it's gone and you never know what was really going on.  I'm just glad it's over because the screaming was terrible, and the agony of seeing my son in so much pain (whether real or not, it was to him), was tearing me up!  

Good luck to the rest of you!  I sure pray you find answers and resolutions to your kids' eye pain!!  
My son 4 years complained of eye pain lately whenever he watches TV or read book. We consulted Pediatric Opthamalogist. And his all tests were fine. Now its been 2 months but the problem still persists. We are also in same boat not sure what is causing the pain. Anyone please reply back if you found out the solution.

Thanks!
Hi. Did you guys get any resolution to your daughter's eye pain? I sure hope so... please let us know
=
My 6 year old son started complaining of eye pain in just his left eye back in August. We could find nothing in his eye but he would insist that it hurt terribly. We would give him Motrin and after 30 min he would feel better. I took him to an eye Dr. who said his vision was 20/40, not bad enough to cause issues and nothing seemed wrong with his eye. After August he didn't seem to have issues but in the last week he's had 3 attacks. He starts out complaining that his left eye hurts. It starts to get teary and a little red. Within about 10 minutes the area around his eye starts to swell and become red and the real pain starts. He screams in agony and can't hold still. This typically lasts about 15-30 minutes. It also seems to happen in mid to late morning each time. After 3 episodes we finally got him to explain what he is feeling. He says it feels like a pinching feeling all around his eye, not in it. Pressing around his eye makes the pain much worse. I soured this internet this weekend and came across something called a "cluster headache". His symptoms match this diagnosis exactly with the exception of his age. It is very rare for children under 12 to have these types of headaches, though it's not completely unheard of. I am seeing his regular pediatrician today and will update on what we find out if anything.
=
We took my 6 year old son to the pediatrician who was super dismissive and said basically that some kids have eye pain and it eventually just goes away. No help whatsoever, needless to say I will be finding a new pediatrician. I took him to an ophthalmologist and neurologist last week. I described symptoms and showed a video of one of the attacks but didn't mention that I suspected cluster headaches yet both came to that same conclusion. The neurologist informed me that these headaches are just as frequent in young kids, but because kids have a difficult time describing the pain they are not died until they are much older.
Thanks for the follow up. In my practice when I did pediatrics I was impressed at the frequency of childhood migraine.
JCH MD

I am following this thread because my 5 yr old son woke in the middle of the night (last night) absolutely and inconsolably screaming in pain (which we eventually found out was in his right eye). He was also extremely sensitive to light or opening his eyes. I noticed the whites of his eyes were very red when I got a chance to see them. Normally his pain tolerance and ability to communicate a problem is quite good so this episode really had me worried. The screaming lasted for about 35 minutes and by then I had already given him both ibuprofen and benadryl  (benadryl because I noticed a rash on his body and thought maybe the pain had to do with some form of allergic reaction/pressure).

Just now (a day later) I put him to bed and noticed a rash again, and he was rubbing his eyes. I am fearful of a night like the last. I'm wondering if anyone else noticed a rash or any psoriasis type of skin reactions during the bouts of eye pain (just wondering if it's a coincidence).

He's had rashes coming and going for a few months now, but his pediatrician said not to worry about it. The hive looking rash can appear anywhere and everywhere (arms, neck, front, back, legs etc). However, one has caught my attention...on the inside of his elbow has been a persistent patch of rash that has recently morphed into psoriasis of some sort. And that's autoimmune, so it may tie into the allergy/immune/inflammation response and thus pain in or behind the eye. Just some thoughts.

I'm about to start documenting what he eats to see if anything corresponds with the appearance of the rashes, and if the eye episodes also correspond. Will update later...
With a story like that it is far more likely that he scratched his cornea. If he is still in pain see an ophthalmologist or optometrist or your pediatrician. Benadry drys the eyes (and mouth) and also predisposes to "exposure keratitis" where the lower cornea drys out then gets a corneal abrasion or exposure keratitis.

JCH MD
Thank you for the head's up! What didn't mention is, for a couple months now (I guess for about the same amount of time as the rashes) he has been complaining daily that there's something in his eye and he keeps rubbing at it, but there's never anything there. So something is causing an eye irritation for sure, and it's certainly possible it led to him scratching his cornea. He had no episode last night. Now if I can figure out what's causing the rash and psoriasis in the first place...

That was the first time I had given him benadryl btw...
Best of luck. JCH MD
Update:
Since the original night of severe eye pain, I have limited his food intake as well as what he's exposed to environmentally to make it easier to see if there's anything in particular causing the problem (it was easy because he's been out of school for the holidays).

There seems to be no connection between food/environment and his rashes and eye pain.
However, he has had no severe eye pain episodes since the first time...but he has had nightly borderline incidents. And here's where it gets interesting.

His eyes get red and irritated, borderline painful, and hyper sensitive to light every day starting between 7-8pm.

That's normally his bedtime, and since he doesn't nap, it's also when he is physically and mentally the most worn down and tired. So it's possible it's affecting him in his worn down state...or maybe it has nothing to do with that and whatever it is just happens to have a 24 hour (or nocturnal?) cycle. Either way, nightly he begins to dig into his eyes hoping to dig something out of there and I have to keep stopping him.

Overall, his rashes have gotten much better and barely appear anymore, but the eye irritation and light sensitivity continues. Last night we were driving home at 7:30pm and just the street lights along the highway were causing him pain and he asked for a jacket to put over his head.
He really needs to see an ophthalmologist and the pain is likely corneal in origin. Ask your pediatrician to refer you. Please do this.
Thank you! Will do.
My son is 4years old  he woke up today telling me his eye hurt, it looks watery too me also a little redness what can I do I hate seeing him in pain :( can I buy eye drops over the counter for him or can this be serious ?
If you get a Diagnosis let us know  JCH MD
For sure.
Very similar is going on with our 9 years old son. It also started with an episode of severe night pain back in August. Since then he's been constantly complaining that his eye/eyes hurt . At first it's been happening about once a week (usually on the weekends), but now as often as almost every day. We saw our GP as well as the pediatric optalmologist and after all the test done they found nothing wrong. The pain usually starts in the evening or late afternoon and it's gets better only with a sleep. It is usually located under his upper eyelide. We tried artifitial tears, antihistamin drops, warm compress, but nothing helps. He is also very sensitive to any lights. It breaks my heart every time when he has a pain and I have no idea how to help him.
alphatm: Since the problem is worsening I suggest you ask your pediatrician to set us a second opinion from a different pediatric ophthalmologist. If your son is co-operative ask the pediatric ophthalmologist to evert the upper lids to be sure there is no pathology or foreign material under the eyelid.

If this is also negative  investigate if it could be something else. Is there a family history of migraine, especially childhood migraine, that can cause hard to diagnose eye pain, consider sinus pathology as the eyes are surrounded by sinuses.

JCH MD
My 4.5yr daughter too complained of a severe pain and we took her to a pediatric ophthalmologist who said it's an infection without red eye or crusting. When the problem did not go away with 15 days of antibiotic drops we took second opinion. This pediatric ophthalmologist prescribed an anti allergic drop once a day and lubricant drops four drops a day. Have been trying this for a week now but my daughter still keeps complaining eye pain. The eye is not red and sometimes there is a lash in the eye but most of the times its nothing. We are clueless now
Not every treatment works every time.  After a week of therapy you would expect the eye to be more comfortable than it is now. I would suggest that you return to the pediatric ophthalmologist you feel most comfortable with for additional testing and treatment. Hopefully your daughter is cooperative so that a good exam with the biomicroscope (slit lamp) can be done.  Fluoscene drops might be used to check for small scratches. Flipping the eye lid to look under the lid for debris or lashes or other abnormalities is often very difficult at that age.  JCH MD
My 3 years old son complains of eye pain for 3 weeks. He is crying for 15-30 seconds then he seems fine. The pediatric eye doctor checked him and told us there is nothing wrong with his eyes. Did you find any solution for your kids?
=
I haven't had anything new to report because thankfully my son hasn't had any more episodes and no more doctor follow-ups. But then just last week, while sick from one of the fairly bad colds going around, he developed a small rash again, and started with the eye pain again, curiously, right at the same time as all the previous times (7:30pm). But it only happened for that one night...not much to go on.
Thanks for the follow up. Hope this just fades away.
The most common cause would be a scratched cornea. You can try artificial tears. If its still painful tomorrow call your pediatrician or check out an ER with ophthalmology coverage. Pink eye or conjunctivitis is usually not painful