3 year old suddenly going cross eyed intermittently
My 3 year old daughter has suddenly started going cross eyed intermittently in the last couple of weeks. It is usually one eye not moving in conjunction with the other one when she turns to look at something, however it also happens with the other eye and she can go cross eyed with both eyes if she is looking at something close to her face. This has come on very suddenly and she does not seem to have any problems with her vision - she can still clearly recognise numbers, letters etc even at a distance.
A general practitioner has advised he does not think it is too much a cause for concern as she can correct the cross eye herself and isnt like that 100% of the time,but I am worried there is something more serious behind it such as a brain tumor.. or am I being a paranoid mother???
Your advice was flawed. This is a cause of great concern and your should get the child into an Eye MD ophthalmologist, Idealy a pediatric ophthalmologist ASAP.

The most likely cause statistically is a condition called accomdative esotrophia and its treated with glasses (often bifocals) but other more serious causes need to be excluded.

In the USA find a Eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH MD
My left eye crossed inward and though I can move it to center, but not beyond; it wants to stay in the inward position.  My Ophthalmologist referred me to a Neurosurgeon after an MRI showed a tumor at the base of the brain.  The tumor and all that aside, the Neurosurgeon stated the tumor was not what has caused the eye problem and I should see a "good Ophthalmologist."  All this is pretty frustrating!!
See a neuroophthalmologist.

JCH MD