Eye Care Expert Forum
3 years tearing eyes with 3 surgeries

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

3 years tearing eyes with 3 surgeries
I have had tearing eyes for the last thee years in both eyes ....  So much so that many people ask why I am crying. My eyes also burn and I wake up with my eyes crusty. I have had 3 surgeries, one stent put in my right eye, an endoscopic dcr on my right eye and sinus surgery (as it was thought that inflammation in my sinuses was causing problem) my eyes are still leaking ... What should my next step be, pleas help I am lost as where to go.
Thank you
Is the DCR still open? If the tear drainage is not open, then it can be re-opened or a Jones Tube placed. This is difficult and I'm sorry it's been such a tough time for you. The other question which you need to make sure your doctor has answered: is the tearing from "Epiphora" or is it "Lacrimation." There are some weird conditions where your drain works correctly, but you are just producing too much tear (Lacrimation or more apporpriately Hyperlacrimation).
Sincerely
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
The dcr is open, my ent said that if he presses on it he can see the tears go through the hole with his scope. I have never heard of lacrimation, could I go to my family doctor to find out, I am only working with an ent at the moment as my optimaligist referred me to him.