Eye Care Expert Forum
33 months old -farsightedness

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

33 months old -farsightedness

Hello Everyone,
My son recently started crossing eyes while focussing on objects near his eyes.So we took him to an optometrist,there he was diagnosed with farsightedness and astigmatism.His prescription is as follows:

SP     CYL      AXIS
OD      +2.25  0.75     010
OS       +2.25 0.50    170

He had his eye exam 6 months back as well but that time he was +1.Now it has worsen to over +2.
My questions are how strong is his prescription?it possible my son will outgrow his glasses?Is it only because of his crossing eye doctor has advised him to wear glasses?as I read in some forums that for farsightedness in kids ,doctors do not prescribe glasses under +4 .
Would any eye exercises or diet help him outgrow his glasses soon?

I would really appreciate your response.

-Mom

.
Because vision is actively maturing from birth to around 10yrs of age, if there is any change in refraction accompanied by abnormal alignment of the eye, it is critical to ensure the child is wearing the proper correction and maintaining balanced vision in both eyes so that neither eye gets left behind, known as amblyopia.  I think if you have access to a pediatric ophthalmologist in your area, it would be best to have them do a baseline evaluation to address your concerns.
In the prescription above the CYL numbers are negative.
Thanks Dr Shen for your response.My kids pediatric doctor has referred him to an opthalmologist but it may take upto 6 months time to consult him.In the meanwhile,I have opted for optometrist advice and has made him wear his eye glasses.
So,in your opinion..is it a strong prescription since it has astigmatism too?
What are my kids chances of getting a perfect vision in future?
Please advise.
I don't think it is that strong of a prescription and if the glasses keeps the eyes from crossing or reduces the degree of crossing, there shouldn't be any harm done.  In terms of getting perfect vision in the future, that would depend on an examination of the eyes which I would not be able to perform, but I'm glad an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist is available.
Thanks Dr Shen .I appreciate your feedback.