5 yr. old with +7 in right eye +1 in left
I took my 5 yr. old to the doctor today and he was diagnosed with extreme farsightedness, +7 in his right eye and +1 in his left. The doctor seemed very thorough but didn't explain hardly anything to me. They ordered his glasses but basically all I was told was  what each eye was. She did say she wanted to try a patch in a month after he got used to the glasses. I would really just like an explanation about how bad his eyesight really is and what exactly the patching will do to help. I never noticed anything strange before such as squinting so I'm really just in shock. Will this get better as he gets older with the glasses and the patching? Is this worse because the eyes are so different? Thank you so much for any help!
1. Your "doctor" should be an Eye MD ophthalmologist, ideally a pediatric ophthalmologist. If you saw an optometrist I would recommend holding off on the glasses and seeing a real physician.
2. If you did see an Eye MD make a list of your questions and call the office and ask the staff or take the list in for your next exam.  
3. If that RX is really +7 in one eye and +1 in the other there is no way that glasses will be tolerated due to the extreme difference in the two eyes. Your child needs the care of a pediatric ophthalmologist. He may need contacts, patching, atropine drop 'penalization" or even referral to a cornea surgeon for evaluation for hyperopic lasik on the +7 eye
4. This problem runs in families. Have all children and future children and grandchildren checked by age 3.0   Anyone in your blood line with children under 5 needs to see an Eye MD right away.  20% chance other children will have

JCH MD