Eye Care Community
55 yo female, recurring blood vessels bursting in the same eye
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

55 yo female, recurring blood vessels bursting in the same eye

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right section or not (might not be an eye problem i guess, if so please do move to the right section)..

Basically my mother's 55 yo, slightly overweight/not too active. Last week she came back home from a walk and noticed that the left side of her left eye was bloodshot red (almost like in the movies). Four days before that, it had happened as well, only not as severely (less blood I mean). The blood was touching/almost touching the colored area of the eye. A day or two passes and now a third vessel bursts, all in the same eye, this time on the right side of the iris.

She said that physically it doesn't really hurt or there's nothing to really complain about (I guess maybe some minor discomfort?), no blurriness or anything like that (her vision isn't perfect, but she said nothing out of the ordinary).

What worries me is the frequency of these occurrences, she would bust a a blood vessel in the eye here and there on occasion (with a slight increase in the occurrences lately, maybe once every 2-3 months, NOT every other week). I don't know what it could be and i'm worried that it's somehow related to the heart or anything like that?

She's not a diabetic (although levels aren't great last we checked), rarely ever drinks (and even then never gets drunk, let alone really drunk, absolutely never any puking involved or anything like that), doesn't do drugs either.
As far as medication, i'm fairly certain that she does not take anything besides Micardis.

How serious could this be? what should we do?

Thanks for the help
Russian