Eye Care Expert Forum
6 month old with severe congenital myopia

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am severe myopia since birth.  I am around -22 right now.  I just took my 6 month old to a pediatric ophthalmologist and he says she is a -7 and ordered glasses for her.  I was wondering if glasses are needed at this age.  Also,  should I expect her to be around -22 eventually like me?  Is there anything I can do to stop the progression of the myopia?
That's a very high prescription for a six month old.  Get a second opinion and make sure it was checked correctly (must be another pediatric ophthalmologist/ eye MD with training in pediatric exams).  If she really is that myopic, you must get her glasses as she can develop amblyopia and loss of vision in both eyes without adequate correction.  There are ways you can try and slow down the progression of myopia in children but some are controversial.  Do your research online and ask your pediatric ophthalmologist for guidance in this regard.

HV
Thank you so much for your quick response.  I will be getting a referal from her pediatrician for a second opinion.  She is so young and I want to make sure that I am not harming her vision getting her glasses so young.  I did not get glasses until I was 3 (even though I was myopic since birth) and never had any other problems besides the myopia itself.  Thank you again!