Eye Care Expert Forum
6th nerve palsy what can i do?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

6th nerve palsy what can i do?
Dear Medical Professionals.  I have been diagnosed with 6th nerve palsy stemming from Double Vision.  First time was Oct 07 to Feb 08 then Aug 08 to Oct 08.  Now sincle last Thursday.  The problem is  now prism isn't working and eyes visibly off.  Went from 5 prism to needing 30.  Vision only good with one eye closed.  I had MRI, CT scan, Testd for MS, Diabetes, etc.  I have seen 3 Opthamologists in all.  What next?  My Neurologist is thinking of another MRI with more precise slices.  any other suggestions?  Thank you for your time and consideration.  John 42 years old and in good health playing basketball up to last Wednesday!
Dear johnireland,

I would seek the care of an eyeMD specializing in strabismus. Botox has been used to  weaken the antagonist muscle which can aid your symptoms.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Thank you for your reply.  I met a health care professional yesterday that thought my double vision may be linked to TMJ.  Have you come across this before?

John