7 yr old seeing spots or cicles
My son has been complaining for over a year about seeing circles or dots.  He says he has had it since he was born, however the family doctor believes something must have changed or he wouldn't know that wasn't the norm for everyone.  The spots never go away, and he sees them when his eyes are closed as well.  It impacted his letter recognition as he argued with the teacher that an l was actually a b in a small font.  He has seen a Pediatric Opthamologist who says his eyes are fine and that it is neurological in nature.  He has never wavered on his description, and doesn't even want to really talk about it anymore unless asked, so it isn't for attention.  The doctor's do believe he is telling the truth.  He has seen a Pediatric Neurologist who has ordered an MRI and EEG.  Does anyone have a similar experience where the circles or dots never go away.  It isn't floaters as it is his entire field of vision all the time.

Thank you
If the work up is normal, and I think it may be. Your child is probably hyperaware of entopic phenomena.

No likely anything serious would escape that work up

JCH MD
Thank you for your advice, he has also mentionned seeing shapes at times, but not often, and says that the shapes are in colour.  So if entopic phenomena is the cause, you figure nothing will end up showing up on the MRI or EEG he's being scheduled for?

I searched entopic phenomena but didn't come across anything that seemed the same as his description, is it seen constantly even when the eyes are closed?

Thank you
You have several choices accept that "its just one of those things that are hard to explain" and wait and see if something new develops. You've had an appropriate work up

you can see a neuroophthalmologist.

JCH MD
He hasn't had the MRI or EEG done yet (we are waiting for his appointment), only the Opthamologist's assessment has been done.  Do you feel that the Opthamologist alone is an appropriate work up?  

I wouldn't be as concerned if it wasn't impacting his letter recognition, plus I have been told by some people that it could be something wrong with the part of his brain that is responsible for vision.  Is that a possibility in your opinion?

Thank you