8 year old prescription changing frequently
My 8 year old wears glasses and is nearsighted. His vision was close to 20/20 at 5 years old. At 6 he needed glasses. From age 6 to 8 he has needed a prescription change about every 6 months. He is currently at -3.25 and -3.75. The ophthalmologist says prescription changes like his are common in growing kids. But his eyes are worse than both mine and my husbands already and this is making me very nervous. He reads a lot and the eye changes started occurring once he learned to read. We have him take off his glasses when reading and try to get him to take a break after an hour. Is this amount of repeated change in bounds? Is there anything other than stopping reading that can slow down the changes? Should I see a spceicalist?
If you see an ophthalmologist you are seeing a specialist. There is no absolutely proven way to prevent progression of myopia. Outdoor play, bifocals, orthokeratography, atropine drops and other drops have all been tried.  None works all the time.  

The glasses RX in moderate myopia.

JCH MD