Eye Care Community
Adjusting to astigmatism correction in glasses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I've had glasses for a year or two now and I every time I wear them they feel weird like a pulling/tightness sensation mostly in my left eye. Turns out that is where my astigmatism correction is:

Left eye has +0.25 sphere and -0.75 astigmatism correction.
Right eye has nothing.

I've talked to an opthalmologist about it and he said I should adjust to these fairly quickly because it's just a slight prescription but I haven't had much luck with that. They also checked and told me the glasses did match the prescription so its not that they were made wrong. I'm wondering if my eyes just don't like the astigmatism correction or am I just more sensitive and it will take a lot longer to adjust to them? I do notice the slight blur in my left eye when I don't wear the glasses and I see clearer with them on but it can be very uncomfortable.

Any ideas?

This is a very minimal prescription.  However, it may cause difficulty if you do not use the glasses all the time.  I would not prescribe such a minimal prescription unless the patient was having difficulty.  Your left is probably 20/20 or 20/25 without glasses.

Dr. O.
I do have difficulty when working with near vision tasks like the computer. My eyes ache a lot and I've tried eye exercises and using these glasses to cure the problem but they don't really help all that much. I just wore these glasses to try them again today for a full 8-9 hours and I had that pulling sensation in my left eye the entire time. I actually just took them off about 5 minutes ago and the pulling sensation is already subsiding from not wearing them. This is why I can't decide if it's good for me to wear them for the eye aches or if they are just making it worse. I asked the doctor I went to if this prescription would cause something like this and he just brushed it off. Do you think with a small prescription like this it would take longer than a day or two to adjust to it even when wearing them full time? I don't want to keep wearing them if they aren't going to help because the pulling is very uncomfortable.

It usually takes a few days to a week to adjust to glasses.  If unsuccessful decrease the astigmatism to .50.  Also, have the doctor put the prescription in trial frames and adjust the prescription to decrease the discomfort.

Dr. O.
Could you please explain this?

"However, it may cause difficulty if you do not use the glasses all the time. "

How come it would cause difficulty for me to not wear the glasses all the time? Also could it possibly take longer than a week to adjust to the glasses or should I see an optometrist after the week has ended? I started wearing them full time yesterday so Friday I'll know.
You eyes (brain) have to adjust the prescription.  It will not adjust unless you wear them full time.

Dr. O.