Eye Care Expert Forum
Adult Onset of Lazy Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Adult Onset of Lazy Eye
The other day I was standing behind my husband.  When he turned around to look at me, and his eyes shifted to the right, his left eye seemed to roll up.  It looked really weird, and it scared me because I haven't ever noticed it in the six years that I've known him.  He said that when he looks to the side, at a more extreme direction, it gets blurry.  When I started looking up things online, it sounded similar to symptoms associated with strabismus or amblyopia.  I don't really know what those conditions are, and it sounds like it's something that typically happens in children.  Should my husband be worried?  Does he need to get his eye checked?  Now I notice it whenever he looks to his far right, and I've never seen it before.  Can a condition like this start out of the blue?  He said he thinks it was happening because he hadn't gotten a lot of sleep in the last couple of days.  He got more sleep last night, and it's still happening.  He thinks I'm overworrying, and it's not necessary to get an examination by a doctor.  What do you think?
It should be checked by an eye MD. It may be benign such as Bell's Reflex, Duane's Syndrome or an overaction oblique eye muscle. Find and eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH IIIMD
Thanks Dr. Hagan.  My husband agreed to see an Eye MD, but he couldn't get scheduled until June 20th, which is about four weeks from now.  Is that reasonable or is this something that needs urgent attention (like if there's a possible brain tumor)?  Thanks again.  I really appreciate your help!  
Generally he would not need to be seen sooner unless something scary develops like nausea, vomiting, constant double vision, dilated pupil, droopy eyelid, severe headache, etc.

JCH III MD