Eye Care Expert Forum
Adult Onset of Lazy Eye
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Adult Onset of Lazy Eye

The other day I was standing behind my husband.  When he turned around to look at me, and his eyes shifted to the right, his left eye seemed to roll up.  It looked really weird, and it scared me because I haven't ever noticed it in the six years that I've known him.  He said that when he looks to the side, at a more extreme direction, it gets blurry.  When I started looking up things online, it sounded similar to symptoms associated with strabismus or amblyopia.  I don't really know what those conditions are, and it sounds like it's something that typically happens in children.  Should my husband be worried?  Does he need to get his eye checked?  Now I notice it whenever he looks to his far right, and I've never seen it before.  Can a condition like this start out of the blue?  He said he thinks it was happening because he hadn't gotten a lot of sleep in the last couple of days.  He got more sleep last night, and it's still happening.  He thinks I'm overworrying, and it's not necessary to get an examination by a doctor.  What do you think?
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
It should be checked by an eye MD. It may be benign such as Bell's Reflex, Duane's Syndrome or an overaction oblique eye muscle. Find and eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH IIIMD
3 Comments
Blank
Thanks Dr. Hagan.  My husband agreed to see an Eye MD, but he couldn't get scheduled until June 20th, which is about four weeks from now.  Is that reasonable or is this something that needs urgent attention (like if there's a possible brain tumor)?  Thanks again.  I really appreciate your help!  
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Generally he would not need to be seen sooner unless something scary develops like nausea, vomiting, constant double vision, dilated pupil, droopy eyelid, severe headache, etc.

JCH III MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
1731421_tn?1358826971
Timothy D McGarity, M.D.Blank
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D. P.C.
Columbia, MO