Eye Care Community
After blunt trauma right eye dilated will this heal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hello, I am 26 years old and I was hit in the right eye with a led fishing lure. The hook did not penitrate but the force of the hit caused major pain and a small bleed with swelling. My pupil instantly became dilated and my vision was blurred and the pupil did not resume normal size. I went to the eye doctor and he checked everything out. He said that there was a small bleed that can only be seen through his scope and significant bruising and he put me on atropine and dilating drops. My pupil of course will stay dilated for the week that I am on these drops but my concern is will my pupil heal on it's own. My vision has cleared for far away but where my pupil will not constrict it will not focus on close objects and it is very disorienting. What are the chances that my pupil will go back to normal and if it doesent what can I do. The cateracts and glaucoma issue scare me too!
You have perhaps 20% chance of the pupil ending up larger than the other eye. That is called traumatic iridoplegia.  It may be up to 6 months before it can be said to be permanent.  If troublesome you can use mild drops to keep the pupil small or at least more the size of the other. There is nothing that will restore perfect pupil function if it doesn't recover on its own.

JCH II IMD
Thank you very much for your imput.
My son has had an eye injury from a bb gun. end result is like the person above his  vision is cleared for far away but his pupil will not constrict it will not focus on close objects and it is very disorienting. Can that be corrected? Will the glare & blurred spots go away? It's only been 20 days since the accident.
Thanks,
Cathy
Cathy, please see my post http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/763012 to see if any information there may help you, as well.

Mitch, I know it's been a long time since your injury.  How has your pupil recovered?  I'm going through something very similar and would like to know if yours got better, or what steps you took to correct/alleviate the issue.
A pupil that is permanently damaged and still dilated 4-6 months after an injury cannot be made "normal". Sometimes drops (1% pilocarpine) are used to make it small but then it stays small and does not dilate in the dark.

JCH MD
Thank you for your previous response. They now see that my son has a tear in his muscle at the top of the pupil. Can that ever heal itself or be repaired?
Cathy
Surgery will not make the pupil work normal. It can make it smaller but it won't dilate and it makes seeing into the back of the eye more difficult.

JCH MD
I was hit by a car at the age of two and car accident hitting my head at the age of thirty. Now after going to my eye doctor he tells me I have narrowing of the angle due to trauma and I have had eye surgery once and he tells me that it is not a cure I still can go blind. What is your knowledge on this subject please.
Hi im 15, and I was hit my a baseball 4 days ago and i saw a eye specialist. They said there were no damage to the eye and they are unsure why it wont dilate. Is there anything that i can do to give my self a better chance of it healing so it will dilate on its own?
HI John,

With reference to your initial comment,  One of my friend got her eye injury where shuttle **** base hit him and IOP in right eye which was injured  is recorded as 23 where as his left eye was 15.  Opthomologist have suggested homide eye drops for 10 days + (PredForte + Glucomol for 4 weeks).

Her vision test was successful however mild pressure like pain and minor blurness in the vision particularly for near objects was identified.  

The pupil dilation was fixed

What are the chances that IOP would come to normal and stay normal?
Would the pupil come to normal size ?
What are the problems with Fixed pupil ?

Your inputs in this regard would help us a lot.
Thanks,
Pratima
Hey doc.. i was hit in my eye after a punch and began having a blurred vision ..now everything is okay except i have some floaters after 5 monthes from the accident.. is it due to trauma or something close to growth symptoms as im 17? Do u think my eye returned back as before?is it now weaker than the other eye?Thank you much
I was hit with a baseball in the eye 4 days ago and I could just now open up my eye yesterday and my pupil was dilated and I went to the opthomologist and they said that everything in my eye was fine except I might have traumatic iritis which I am taking drops for and I also have traumatic mydriasis there was no bleeding in my eye at all.
my vision is a little blurry and my pupil is dilated I was wondering of the chance of my pupil shrinking back to its normal size and my vision clearing up? can someone please give me feedback on my question. please and thank you.