Eye Care Expert Forum
After retina tear surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

After retina tear surgery

I had laser surgery to seal a torn retina 7 days ago . I still have a lot of dark floaters and floaters that resemble wisps of smoke . Also there is a shadow that I notice in my upper left field of vision . How long does this take to clear up ? Could the surgery have not been successful ? I see my surgeon in 2 days . Will he be able to tell if all is going OK ? Thanks .
Hello Crown 1234.  Laser surgery does not reduce floaters or bleeding in the eye. If the shadow you notice is new you need to call your surgeon and get in to see him/her today or tomorrow. Your surgeon will be able to tell if the laser is sealing the tear. It often takes 7-14 days to determine if the amount of "scarring" created by the laser is adequate to see the tear. Once again the laser does not treat the floaters, they will have to settle out by themselves or the mind make an adjustment to tune them out.

Hello bikeswim7. The difference is that you've had numerous examinations and treatments for your retinal detachment. If the shadow you see is brand new there is an urgency to get in to see your surgeon, however as I read your posting it's been there for at least 7 weeks. Even though the retina is put back in place it does not always recover full vision and even if vision is recovered it can take 6-12 months for the detached retina to reach its final level of recovery-especially in a 'macula off RD".

JCH III MD FACS  Disease and Surgery of the Eyes.
I was searching for a forum like this for help - but found you have a similar question to mine - coincidence!

7 weeks ago - retinal detachment and tear diagnosed, sclearal buckle surgery the same day, 4 weeks later, vitrectomy surgery, laser repair to retina, and large gas bubble. Now continue to have a portion of the original shadow that existed prior to the vitrectomy. If the original diagnosis was so URGENT to require surgery the same day, then why would the current (identical) symptom not be urgent? Why is it okay to wait until the follow up appointment in a couple weeks? Is the buckle and lasered retina somehow removing any risk of additional detachment? If not, shouldn't any continued symptom of a shadow or gray area be an urgent condition?
A related discussion, Floaters after retina surgery was started.
A related discussion, Recovery from VitreoRetinal Surgery was started.
A related discussion, post surgery care for torn retina was started.
A related discussion, retinal tear was started.