Eye Care Community
After strabismus surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

After strabismus surgery

Hi, My 5 yr old son had surgery on the left for exotropia, he had double vission whne he rt or lft eye turned outwards.
left eye recess LR, left eye resect MR..on Jun 16th. He complained of double vision  all the time after surgery. The opth said it would take time for it to go away. Its been 2 months  my son says he still has double vision but only sometimes. I can see that his eye is till not aligned properly. I was asked to aptch his eyes for 2 hrs a day and now its come down to 1 hr. The doc said that the turning is reducing it was 24 prim diopters 6 weeks back , 2 weeks later it was 12 or 15 dopter and a week back he said it was 10diopters. I'm also worried about the 3D vison test he did few day after surgery, my so  could'nt see anything pop up.Same thing happened on the following visit too. Then he was'nt chked for 3D vision, The doc said since the eye is turned in he's not able to see 3D. 3 days back we took my son to a 3Dmoive with motion seats in an amusement park. He said he could'nt see nay image come near his face .Ths opth has asked to see him again on sep 7th. Please advice.
These are all common occurences after strabismus surgery. They are not even complications just what happens in some strabismic children. your child do not have good fusion that's why he eyes turned out. Double vision isn't necessarily a bad thing for some time after surgery. Deviations less than 15 diopters generally don't cause cosmetic problems. Your surgeon is working both to make the eyes as straight as possible plus see as well as possible in each eye. For the next 3-5 years you may need to use glasses and patching to try and get the best possible result.

Most children with strabismus, even with surgery do not have perfect 3-D (stereo) vision.

This condition run in families watchother children

JCH MD
Thankyou. My son is nearsighted and has astigmatism. I'm worried abt 3D vision coz befreo surgery he did fine at the 3d vision tests , its after surgery that I'm noticing this. He's the first child in the family having this eye problem. None of us in the family  wore glasses at young age.
normal depth perception (3-D or stereopsis) is not possible unless the eyes and 100% pointed at the same object zero diopters of deviation. Your surgeon is working toward that goal.

JCHMD