Eye Care Community
Air coming from tear duct when blowing nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I've noticed two other people have posted questions about this issue and both refer to the left eye. I also have air coming from the tear duct in my left eye when I blow my nose. I have been having sinus problems for several years and the problem was getting progressively worse with constant congestion, sometimes resulting in infections. Last June I had septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and minor repair of one sinus cavity (all on left side) that had no opening for drainage. I had a few months of relief, then as soon as I got a cold in November, it resulted in a sinus infection. Just within the last month or so I've noticed that when I blow my nose I get bubbles coming from the tear duct in my left eye. This never happened before the surgery and the doctor who performed the surgery is no longer with my HMO. The last infection was in January and I also got conjunctivitis in my left eye (only). Could the eye infection have been a result of the bacteria from my sinuses?

This discussion is related to When I blow my nose, I get mucous(fluid)coming out of tear duct.
There is a one way valve that usually prevent this.  However, with colds or infections air can come through your tear duct as you blow your nose.

Dr. O.
Thanks Dr. O but that didn't really address the question of whether my eye infection could have been a result of bacteria from my sinuses.
Yes,

Dr. O.
Can the valve in the tear ducts be damaged or permanently fail?  I have a little drainage, but no infection that I know of.  Air and fluid come from my right tear duct whenever I blow my nose for about two weeks now.  Last August I had a carbuncle with three heads in my right nostril.  Could the bacteria from that infection cause damage to this one way valve?
I was wondering if you have a valve that is malfunctioning is there any way to reverse the effect?
I've always had air and a little fluid/mucus bubble from my right tearduct when I blow my nose hard. It might be because I'm quite allergic, always sneezing and suffering from hayfever, and perhaps damaged the valve, but I've also heard that it's just something you can be born with. My granny has it too, and she dosen't suffer too much with hayfever.

I've never really had a problem with eye infections, although I have worried about getting them.

On a lighter note, you have an awesome biological quirk. Try doing it underwater. The eye-bubbles make for a stunning pool-party-piece.
Awesome re pool party...lol, my 6yo just showed me she could do this and it's the first thing I pointed out, lol!! Cool underwater potential...
Mine is different. I have been wearing airtight goggles for couple me days. Strangely i figured that, after i wear them for a minute or so, it gets fogged in the inside. The goggle has no problem. What could cause my eyes to produce warm air? And how do i cure and prevent it?