Air coming from tear duct when blowing nose
I've noticed two other people have posted questions about this issue and both refer to the left eye. I also have air coming from the tear duct in my left eye when I blow my nose. I have been having sinus problems for several years and the problem was getting progressively worse with constant congestion, sometimes resulting in infections. Last June I had septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and minor repair of one sinus cavity (all on left side) that had no opening for drainage. I had a few months of relief, then as soon as I got a cold in November, it resulted in a sinus infection. Just within the last month or so I've noticed that when I blow my nose I get bubbles coming from the tear duct in my left eye. This never happened before the surgery and the doctor who performed the surgery is no longer with my HMO. The last infection was in January and I also got conjunctivitis in my left eye (only). Could the eye infection have been a result of the bacteria from my sinuses?

This discussion is related to When I blow my nose, I get mucous(fluid)coming out of tear duct.
There is a one way valve that usually prevent this.  However, with colds or infections air can come through your tear duct as you blow your nose.

Dr. O.
Thanks Dr. O but that didn't really address the question of whether my eye infection could have been a result of bacteria from my sinuses.
Yes,

Dr. O.
Can the valve in the tear ducts be damaged or permanently fail?  I have a little drainage, but no infection that I know of.  Air and fluid come from my right tear duct whenever I blow my nose for about two weeks now.  Last August I had a carbuncle with three heads in my right nostril.  Could the bacteria from that infection cause damage to this one way valve?
I was wondering if you have a valve that is malfunctioning is there any way to reverse the effect?
I've always had air and a little fluid/mucus bubble from my right tearduct when I blow my nose hard. It might be because I'm quite allergic, always sneezing and suffering from hayfever, and perhaps damaged the valve, but I've also heard that it's just something you can be born with. My granny has it too, and she dosen't suffer too much with hayfever.

I've never really had a problem with eye infections, although I have worried about getting them.

On a lighter note, you have an awesome biological quirk. Try doing it underwater. The eye-bubbles make for a stunning pool-party-piece.
Awesome re pool party...lol, my 6yo just showed me she could do this and it's the first thing I pointed out, lol!! Cool underwater potential...
Mine is different. I have been wearing airtight goggles for couple me days. Strangely i figured that, after i wear them for a minute or so, it gets fogged in the inside. The goggle has no problem. What could cause my eyes to produce warm air? And how do i cure and prevent it?
I have this with my right eye since my septoplasty (deviation was blocking left nostril) it's the strangest feeling, I am worried what will happen if I scuba dive.
My surgeon said it was nothing to worry about
The nasolacrimal duct drains tears from the corner of the eye into the nose. At the junction into the nose is a one way valve called the Valve of Hasner. Sometimes it doesn't work right and it is possible for air or fluid to go from the nasopharynx  and into the eye. It's not a good thing as it can lead to infections so don't try and make this happen.  Some of the night TV shows have "freak guests" that take a glass of milk then blow it out their eye.   For the same reason when you have a cold or nasal infection don't block off one nostril when you blow your nose. It can create such high air pressure it pushes the infected nasal secretions up into the nasolacrimal duct.

JCH MD
Hello Doctor,

is there any way to have this issue corrected? I've been using a CPAP machine since 2004 without any problems until recent cataract surgery. Now while wearing my CPAP machine air is escaping from my tear duct making a cracking type popping sound making it impossible to sleep.  The surgery was very very painful with two sessions of pain lasting about four seconds. Now I'm seeing double vision and large halos at night when looking at headlights or streetlights, one right above the other. I'm suffering from dizziness that has become so bad I went to the ER last night. All of my test results came back fine. They placed a heart monitor on for the next 24 hours. I'm going to see my MD on Thursday, the 18 of October 2015. Had my surgery this September the 18th 2015. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated as he is not well versed on CPAP equipment and/or abnormalities.

Thank you,
Anthony,
I have several suggestions.  First would see a different ophthalmologist for a second opinion about your vision problems, halos, etc.

I think your best bet would be talking to your lung doctor and CPAP technicians to see if the pressure can be reduced and also that your are using the smallest possible nose piece. the large old fashion ones will aggravate the problem.

I do not think that there is any surgery on the tear duct that would help you if you do not have problems all the time with blocked tear duct and constant watering.

JCH MD