Eye Care Community
Allergic Conjunctivitis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Allergic Conjunctivitis

Am posting for a South African mate.

He has been diagnosed with Allergic Conjunctivitis from about 10 years ago and can not get rid of it.

Whatever he is allergic to causes some pretty sever symptoms including sever pain - described to me as needles in his eyes, near loss of vision, very red eyes...

I have passed on some of the advice given here on drops and he will look for those. He couldnt recall the name of the drops he uses currently but it is obviously not working.

He says that he cannot find a good doc to help him over in SA. He has pretty much given up on finding some resolution over there so any help would be greatly appreciated by both us.

I have his permission to post here and if I can add any info from him please let me know of any questions to ask.

Thanks again,
f
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
South AFrica has some very fine ophthalmologists. I would find a eye MD with specialty in cornea/external disease perhaps one associated with a medical school.

CHronic conjunctivitis and dry eyes are often confused for one another. For true chronic conjunctivitis resistent to standard therapy either chronic use of cromolyn sodium, mild steroids (Alrex and watch for side effects) or restasis.

JCH MD
Blank
253566_tn?1219683299
Dr. Hagan,

Thank you so much for your timely response. I was pretty sure there should be very fine docs in SA especially Cape Town where my mate resides...

I will pass on your advice. I suggested he look into Newdrop Refresh Allergy Eye Drops or Opthcon A which were suggested in another post and maybe by yourself... I also told him to stay away from "get the red out" products and any with preservatives.

Again thank you for your help,
f
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
You're welcome of the over the counter in the USA Zaditor is very good also.

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank