Eye Care Expert Forum
Am I going blind?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Am I going blind?
i have dry eye...waht are the symptoms of going blind. please let me know..thanks...
Omali M,
NY, NY
Dear onm2323,

Impairment of sight can occur from many causes.  One usually thinks of blindness as irreversible loss of sight with vision less than 20/200.  Dryness may cause one’s vision to blur but can be managed with many therapies such as drinking more water, use of nonpreserved lubricating eye drops, use of ointments at bedtime, use of steroid or anti-inflammatory eye drops, insertion of plugs to diminish outflow of tears, oral flax seed oil and/or oral omega three vitamins.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I cant read newspaper and books. After 10 minutes of concentration i feel extreme desire to sqeeze my left forehead. Similar feeling while eating and watching TV.Many doctors checked my eyes and told me that my eyes are perfect, some told me muscle weakness and advised some excecise. I have quit sincere reading since 6 years.And also do excecise(placing a pointed object between my eyes and moving to and fro)
I'm 17 years old and have been wearing contacts for about 5 years. Last year I had to go to the eye doctor because my eyes were really irritated from my contacts so I used prescribed drops and wore my glasses until it cleared up.  About 2 days ago I slept with my contacts in and ever since my eyes (especially the right one) have been so irritated that I can barely even keep my eye open. I've been resting them for days now and putting an ice pack on my eye but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have headaches, my right eye is very bloodshot on the lower lid, and I noticed my vision is even more blurry for the right eye than it is for the left eye. Around my right eye it appears to be blurry as well.  I really don't want to go blind! Should I go to the emergency room?
My Mother recently had treatment for a similer problem to the top post. She had medical treatment but that didn't seem to change much, she also stopped drinking, stopped eating chocolate and even went to a healer - it has helped a lot but no-one is exactly sure what really made the difference.