Eye Care Community
Amblyopia and cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Amblyopia and cataract surgery

I am 65 years old and have amblyopia and cataracts. I have put off the surgery for several years but now need to get it done. My surgeon will do the lazy eye first and the good eye two weeks later.
I need some input on what lenses to have implanted and the resulting problems with each. It sounds like a monolens with bifocal contacts are a good option as the halos at night would be very limiting
You need to discuss this with your surgeon.  I do not know your refraction, the vision of the amblyopic eye before the onset of the cataract, etc.  In general, I would recommend a monofocal IOL for the amblyopic eye. Depending on the degree of amblyopia, you can consider an accommodating IOL.  This works well especially in a moderate hyperope ( I have an moderately hyperopic physician with amblyopia in whom I implanted a monofocal IOL in his amblyopic eye (20/40 post surgery) and a Crystalens in his normal eye ( 20/20 and J1).  He does not use glasses and is very happy.

Dr. O.