Eye Care Expert Forum
Amblyopia due to nearsighted versus farsighted

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had a lazy eye as a child and a now have amblyopia. My left eye is farsighted with astigmatism. I am not sure how much though because I just wear glasses/contacts for my right eye which is nearsighted -4.5 with an astigmatism cyl of -1.25 180. I think the left is correctable to 20/100 but am not positive because my eye doctors never dwell long on the left eye. The right eye is corrected to 20/20. I know I can't change it because my brain is used to it, but I was wondering what lasik would do. I am considering fixing the right eye for sure with lasik. I was wondering if correcting the left eye would be a waste of money. I know I will still have amblyopia but will it be better in any sense. Like right now and also in the future should anything happen to my good eye.  
answered on the other forum
JCH MD