Eye Care Community
Annoying bolts of lightning
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Annoying bolts of lightning

Helo doc's, me again.

I and lots of other people have this annoying problem with eye flashes, I have bolt of lightning when I move my head quickly, or when I'm walking by bright walls, or sometimes they don't have to be bright, I don't notice them in dark room, or when working on PC or watching TV.
Also, I notice them when I'm having panic time for my eyes, when I'm think of them.

Also, I noticed when I'm looking at blue sky, that picture in that left eye is little dirty, vision is 20/20, but it looks like vitreous is dirty. All of this started when I had laser treatment for small round holes in left eye, in right eye was RD, and in that right eye I was little myopic.

Are those bolts of lightning dangerous if they are seen on head/eye movement, or in some rooms with bright walls, or not?
And what about that dirty vitreous, could that be because of laser treatment or what (treatment was in october, last year)? my doc is little bit cheap on words, so I want your opinion.

I tried to search, but I found lot's of different answers, some that scares me, some gives me hope.

Kind regards

Robert
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
I'm sorry without examining your eye I cannot assign how "risky" this is.  Most flashes of light in the eye do not lead to or indicate a RD.
JCH MD
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Yes these lightening flashes could signal retinal tears, retinal detachment or retinal traction. You need a dilated exam by an Eye MD oph;thalmologist. Find one near you at www.aao.org   If you already see one call back with a list of your questions and ask the staff to get you some answers or find a different retina Eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Blank
Thanks you doc, well till now there were at least 5 or more exams, and every time they (3 doctors, one is Professor and also my surgeon) told me it's "dry" (no problems) and no new tears or detachment. They said that there is probably some retinal traction...

Next exam is next tuesday, so I will hear if there are some changes or not.
But from your experience, could this be harmless? I'm so scared of RD, because I have it on my right eye.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
I'm sorry without examining your eye I cannot assign how "risky" this is.  Most flashes of light in the eye do not lead to or indicate a RD.
JCH MD
Blank
Ok, your last answer calmed me down a little bit. Looks like I will have to squeeze answers from my surgeon on the next visit.

Take care, kind regards

Robert
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Good luck JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now