Eye Care Expert Forum
Another Multifocal vs Monofocal question

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hello, I should preface by saying that I have an appointment with my trusted doc in two weeks, but would really love some other advice...
I am 26 yr old recently recovered from a bout of idiopathic uveitis treated with one ozurdex implant in August 2012. As expected, I've developed a cataract in the same eye (right). In Frbruary doc didn't want to do anything of course, but now it is affecting daily life. Can no longer comfortably  read, watch tv, be on the computer for work, etc.
To throw a wrench into everything, I have amblyopia in my left eye. My entire life my left "lazy eye" had never been an issue (aka was barely noticeable to others and I barely even noticed it affecting my overall vision) until the uveitis caused my previously 20/20 right eye become to 20/100 at height of it. After ozurdex and before cataract, the lazy eye was completely unnoticeable once again. Finally a break in the double vision and headaches caused by the turning eye!!
Well now the cataract has caused these same issues and I'm ready for a solution and to go back to something close to my normal vision pre-uveitis.
Ok there's the facts, can anyone offer insight into which iol is right for me???
It's difficult for me to answer which IOL. Each one has advantages and disadvantages. You are young and for that reason alone, I might be skeptical of placing a mutlifocal IOL. You may probably benefit well from a monofocal IOL targeting mild myopia or you may benefit from a Crystalens.
I wish you the best!
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Also would love some insight as to WHY my  left "lazy eye" turns so much when my right eyes vision is obstructed
And why my right eye lid gets puffy when vision is poor.
Thanks in advance!!