Eye Care Community
Any comment on Zeiss Toric IOL (Acri.comfort) ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I plan to do a cataract surgery on my left eye. I met a surgeon and he suggested me to go for the Tecnis aspheric and a LRI to fiix my 1.75D astigmatism instead of the Acrysof IQ. He thinks the Tecnis is better as much less glistening effect and less chance of YAG due to its square edge design. Another concern is I am not sure yellow tint will have some imbalance feeling if I only implant one IOL.
But I have some moderate dry eye and LRI seems not suitable. I made another appointment with the surgeon to discuss the option of toric IOL again next week. His secretary mentioned I may consider another toric lens like the Zeiss toric IOL. We know that this is not fully available in Canada but their clinic can make some arrangement.

I read some info about the Acri.comfort and it claims its BI-TORIC feature can provide a better quality image. Zeiss also claim its MICS (1.5mm incision) can have better surgery recovery and less induced astigmatism. It seems this IOL is quite new and I can't find much other information from google about this IOL.

Can someone provide some comment on Zeiss IOL ? Does BI-TORIC provides a better quality of image ? Are there any known defect of the Zeiss IOL ?

I have no info on this lens.  Also,  MICS at 1.5mm is only of value if you surgeon does MICS.

Dr. O.
Dr Oyakawa,
Have you use any toric lens other than Acrysof IQ?
Regarding the yellow tinted, is there any article of webpage have images to simulate how yellow does it look ?  Some research (not sure is supported by Alcon) indicates their newer model has less glistening. Is it true ?

I have 1.75D with-the-rule astigmatism at 0 deg. If I don't use toric lens, how likely the surgeon can use the SIA to offset some of the 1.75D but not increase it.

Thanks a lot
I have not used any other toric IOL.  The first toric made by another company rotated alot.

I don't know which model has less glistening. Is it the aspheric?

Do you have +1.75 at 0 or -1.75 at 0?  With the rule astigmatism would be -1.75 @ 0.

A temporal incision at 180 or 0 will reduce the astigmatism to about 1.25 D or so for the former and  It will increase to about 2.25 D in the latter ( I believe your case).

Dr. O.
Dr Oyakawa
Yes, I mean do you know the new model of Acrysof will have less glistening.
BTW, when the glistening become more serious after a few years, will it affect the vision ?

I was told I am with-the-rule. When I look through the glass with my non-surgery eye which no astimatigsm, the image become a bit wider (longer horizontally).
Is the temporal incision will be decided at the wish of the surgeon to any location to let say 90 to reduce the astigmatism ?

I have not seen glistening at with Acryosof but I know others have.  I do not know about the new Acrosof.

Surgeon operate at the head-of-the bed or temporally.  If he operates at the head-of-the-bed, then he can operate easily at 90.  You need to discuss this with him.

Dr. O.
Hi,,
I just had the Acryosof IQ IOL but not in Toric put in, it is yellow but visually I see no tint at all. I only have one IOL the other eye does not have a cataract

I have no glistening