Eye Care Community
Anyone else adapted to Lentis Mplus lens after two months?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I originally posted this as a reply to another thread but thought I'd start my own as I'd like to get some opinions.   I had the Lentis M Plus lens implanted into my right eye 6 weeks ago.  The left eye implant that was planned for a week later was postponed indefinitely as I had massive ghosting/double vision and glare in the right, which caused me enormous distress and concern.  I have since had two other checkups, one was unscheduled as I was so worried, and my one month post-op was l2 weeks ago.  I was convinced that the lens was decentred but the optometrists say it’s perfectly centred.  It feels like I’m forcing my eye to see distance through the close up part of the lens.

I won’t name the clinic yet as I’m undecided whether I’m happy with them or not.  I’m trying to convince myself it’s getting better (but I don't think it is) so I’m keeping an open mind for now.  It’s only been 6 weeks, but they are easily the longest 6 weeks of my life!  As things stand, if my left eye had been done after a week and had the same effect, I would be almost housebound, I certainty would not have been able to drive.   I’m only a young 53, so I’m glad I still have a good untouched left eye (with a contact lens).

I have been assured that the eye/lens will “settle” and my brain will adapt, so I guess only time will tell.  The clinic will happily explant the Mplus lens (so they say) and replace with a monovision lens, but that really defeats the whole exercise, so I do want this to work.

Has anyone had experience of these bifocal type lenses being de-centred and re-positioned?  if not, I’d love to hear from anyone who had the same ghosting/blurred vision which lasted at least 5-6 weeks then cleared.

Anyone tried exercises to help with Neuroadaptation?  This company in the US will happily sell me their program for $500… http://www.revitalvision.com/
-
Sorry, what does "-" mean?
It maans I've read the post previous post and have no further comments.
Oh.  So does that mean the thread is closed?
-
hankhill, here is an article from CRSToday Europe where a a decentration of the lens is mentioned by a Doctor:

http://bmctoday.net/crstodayeurope/2010/05/supplement/article.asp?f=the-only-presbyopia-lens-with-hd-vision

"Auffarth: Since we have adequately outlined the strengths of the lens, I will discuss what could be seen as weaknesses. If you look at the patients in whom we encountered some problems, you will notice that they are all surgically related and not due to the lens itself. In one case, the lens was slightly decentered upward, and the patient looked through the near part in the distance. I had to explant the lens, but it was due to the off-centered rhexis."

Out of interest, do you have the +3.0D or the +1.5D MPlus?
Thanks for the reply.  Very interesting that you should ask.  I had the add 3.0 - "standard Mplus".  By coincidence, only yesterday I met a surgeon that I had been referred to by OE for a second opinion.  After tests he said the lens was not decentrated nor tilted and that I was just one of the unlucky few that just did not adapt to it, and probably never would.  (The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the lens is indeed decentrated, but nobody wants to confess to it.  I'm sure that's not the case...)

Instead of recommending explantation with a monofocal, he has suggested the newer Lentis Comfort; is that the add 1.5 version that you are referring to?  I was a bit surprised, but also glad as I may still retain some good reading vision with that option.  I did ask if it’s the same basic design as the Mplus, then won't I suffer the same problem (bad ghosting mainly), but I was assured that I very likely wouldn’t.

I now have to make the decision whether to swap my Mplus for the Comfort, or for a standard monofocal.  The Comfort lens is newer than the Mplus but seems very similar (which worries me), and there is very little data or feedback on the web about it, other than numerous manufacturer site links.  Anyone have any experience with this lens or any opinions to share?  I have seen a positive post here by Londonfreda but I’d love to hear from someone that had problems with a premier multifocal IOL like the Mplus, and subsequently tried the Lentis Comfort.

hankhill there are actually two Lentis Mplus models/strengths in addtition to the Lentis Comfort:

* LS-312 MF30 - Has a +3.0D section for near focus around 30-40cm.

* LS-312 MF15  - This has a +1.5D section for intermediate focus.

Does your ghosting look like watching a 3D movie without the glasses on?

I had not read much about the Comfort but looking at the picture of it it also appears to have a similar (possibly less prominent) second zone at the bottom and the website mentions its intermediate ability. Interestingly they don't list it in the "premium" lens range yet it isn't a monofocal.

You can download pdfs and data sheets on all these lenses from the manufacturer site http://www.oculentis.com

In this CRSToday article there is a brief discussion of using (or exchanging a 1.5D Mplus in the second eye for patients not adapting to the 3.0D (P. 10,11):

http://www.oculentis.com/Press/press-CRSToday-Supplement-012012-EN.pdf

Also this from another CRSToday article:

"The Lentis Mplus is also a fantastic lens, and the low near add model (1.50 D) might be a universal lens for any patient because of the improved intermediate vision and short neural adaptation process, which are clear advantages over monofocal lenses."
http://bmctoday.net/crstodayeurope/2013/01/article.asp?f=state-of-the-premium-iol-market-in-europe

Firstly I really appreciate your replies.  Are you a surgeon?

You must be psychic – the surgeon that made the remarks in the paper you refer to, Prof Jan Venter, is actually THE surgeon who implanted my Mplus IOL.  I have no issues with his ability as a surgeon (at least not at this stage) although unfortunately he works for a company that is very much a high volume money making machine, and so my direct contact with him has been limited to two 2-minute meetings.  It will be a discussion point, but as things stand I wouldn’t have any issue with him doing my explantation.

Yes, the ghosting I have is similar to 3D TV without glasses; although a bit less less so, and it does vary depending upon the light level. In bright outdoor light the ghosting is mainly seen at distinct contract boundaries, eg, rooftops, tree branches, against a bright sky.  Indoors, it’s more general and leads to an overall blurring (presumably because my pupil is larger and a larger part of the low add portion is exposed), but is especially noticeable on lights, the edges of TV and computer screens, TV subtitles, anywhere there is a district contract edge or bright light source.

I am still convinced that my problems are mainly due to the position of the lens in my eye, rather than my lack of ability to adapt, although I’m obviously not a surgeon and two independent surgeons now have told me that I’m just unlucky and the lens placement is fine.

My big concern now is this - I have looked on the manufacturers and distributors websites, and it’s hard to tell exactly what the difference is between an Oculentis Mplus lens with 1.5 add, and a Comfort lens with 1.5 add.  As far as I can tell from the specifications, unless I have missed something, they are one and the same; and my concern is that if I am indeed one of the “unlucky ones” that doesn’t adapt to a lens of this type, will I be in the same position (only maybe slightly less so) if I explant the 3.0 add and implant a 1.5 add?
Hi hankhill,

No I'm not a doctor, just another middle-aged cataract sufferer like yourself (in my 40's).

Firstly, I have since found out that the 1.5D Lentis MPlus is in fact the Lentis Comfort - they have the exact same product code and my Opth says it was first released as the MPlus 1.5D but is now branded as the Comfort. The company probably wants to differentiate the lens to the intermediate/accommodating market segment.

Secondly, you might be interested in my own situation as it somewhat mirrors yours (please forgive the very long post):

I had an MPlus +3.0D put in 4 weeks ago in my left (inferior) eye and suffered the same kind of visual symptoms for distance vision that you did - double vision/ghosting in the daytime and reflections under lights at night (not full halos - these were only under the lights - like half moon shapes).

These under-reflections at night were still better than the large 360 degree starbursts I was getting from the cataract in my right (dominant) eye. Also, the cataract starburst increased as car headlights got closer, whereas the Mplus reflections got smaller, so overall while not perfect it was an improvement on what I had with two cataracts and I was able to drive at night without sunglasses and the sunshade down for the first time in months (cue Blues Bros soundtrack).

It was still pretty disconcerting though to see big "smiley" faced reflections under every traffic light and car headlight (they were especially big at 200m+), and I remained hopeful that like many others I could adapt to them over time and they would fade or my brain would forget them.

It was the daytime ghosting of distance vision that disturbed me the most this past month. Seeing so many objects with a second fainter version slightly offset reminded my of watching the cricket in the 70's and 80's when our analog TV set was getting reflected VHF signals and showing a ghosted image of the players against the green grass. So this past month I have been relying on my cataract eye for distance focus, even though it is hazy and off colour.

The positives were that colour in my new eye was vivid and contrast was strong (I didn't realise how much I had lost) and my reading vision at 30-40cm was now excellent through the new eye and I haven't worn glasses since the day of the operation. Intermediate vision at 50-60cm (computer screen/music on the piano/car dashboard) wasn't quite as good but was usable and I had been told it would/could improve over time.

I was meant to have the second eye done 2 weeks after the first but on the basis of my distance vision ghosting I expressed my concerns to my Optha about doing the second eye (I was worried I wouldn't be able to drive at all). He had never had to explant an Mplus and has had high satisfaction with them, but he asked a lot of questions and listened to me and we decided together to wait a couple more weeks. I think my description of the symptoms was probably greater than any of his other patients had experienced in the first weeks. He did however say that it is hard to judge the final result from only having one eye done, plus I have PCO which also affects my sight at this stage and can be treated later.

We spoke a couple of times during that period (he invited me to call if I had any concerns or questions) and last week after he had spent sometime awake the previous night thinking through my situation (!) he rang me and suggested a plan of using a 1.5D Mplus (ie, the Lentis Comfort) in my dominant eye and doing it fairly soon. The reason for sooner was so that if I adapted better to the RH 1.5D but the LH 3.0D remained a problem the 3.0D could be exchanged for another 1.5D without too much time passing before the explant. He did however express the belief that once I got both eyes done the adaptation would have a better chance then just one eye and a cataract. He was very keen to make it work rather than explanting and I can understand that.

So long story short – yesterday I had a Lentis Comfort 1.5D put in my dominant eye.

I have had the patch off now for 11 hours and I must say that my initial impressions are very good. My eyes seems to be working a lot better together already now that they both have IOL's and even at this very early stage distance vision is a lot more focused ("normal") and ghosting is less noticeable.

As an added bonus, the 1.5D has given me much improved intermediate focus, and I'm typing this at 65cm distance to the screen with no problem (and no glasses).

So in fact with this lens combination I have both binocular distance vision, and near/intermediate mini-monovision. (I can actually read at a pinch at 35-40cm with the +1.5D, but the +3.0D is much sharper at that distance, and with both eyes open for reading the combined vision remains good).

So for me - this is a very positive first day after some weeks of mixed emotions and concerns. Of course this doesn't predict how it would go for you, but it does seem to be a plausible recommendation from your Doctor. You will have to decide however whether your next step is to do the second eye with an IOL like I did, or to change the first eye now (or to go mono focal). I will say that the feel of two IOLs is much more balanced to my sight than one IOL with a cataract eye. They feel like they are working together now for distance focus – even for near and intermediate in fact.

I'm wondering if two MPlus 3.0's may have in fact worked out for me. But no matter now.

I'll report back in a few days on how the +1.5D is going with ghosting and stuff. Seems to be less but it is way too early to make any meaningful comparisons as the surgery is only a day old so there is still swelling and a little soreness.

At this stage I am quietly confident that I will be sticking with these two Lentis multifocal IOLs (one 3.0D and one 1.5D), and not using glasses at all.
Thanks again for the reply, I'm glad to hear you are having good results with the Comfort lens.  I doubt that my eye will be explanted straight away, so I'd be very interested to see how you get on over the next few weeks.  My eyes were actually OK before this, i.e. I did not have cataracts and was reasonably happy with contact lenses, but I couldn't wear them all the time and I couldn't get on with multi focal glasses, and so I decided to splash out and try for spectacle independence.  In hindsight of course I wish I'd left my eyes alone, but now I'm committed I just need the best solution.  Again, I appreciate your feedback.
Ah sorry, I wrongly assumed you had cataracts. Yes, those coming from clear lenses and wanting to get rid of glasses are probably going to have higher expectations as you previously had clear vision to compare it with.

I had lead a life with great vision and no glasses at all but then the cataracts started affecting me last year and my vision had gotten very hazy and off colour (no contrast) and I needed +1 glasses to help me read. So from that point of comparison this is a revelation. I can recognise faces outside on the soccer field again and things like that.

One day on and things are very good this morning. It is a sunny day here in Sydney and the view outside is crisp and clear. The Comfort lens has little or no ghosting compared to the MPlus, but with both eyes open the dominant eye takes over so close to being the same as looking through the Comfort lens only. I am much happier than a week ago. Will go out at night in a day or two and see how that goes with the car headlights.
Three days on and I'm very impressed with this combination. Both lenses working well together for excellent distance focus with no discernible ghosting in most cases.

Colour and contrast are amazing. Everything is so fresh and vivid. Reading well at all distances.

There seems to be less neural adaption required with the Comfort versus the MPlus. It's more like an accommodating lens. I think it will turn out to be very popular for those who aren't good candidates for a full multifocal.
Hi Hankhill,

Almost two weeks since the second eye (Lentis Comfort) and I'm very happy with both it, and the combination with the Lentis MPlus. Together they are working very well for distance and give a range sharp of near/intermediate vision. Enjoying my sight again.

So nice to see clearly again. I had to drive in the rain the last two nights and that was probably the biggest potential test. The eyes passed the test and I am now confident that I can drive in all conditions. There are still some reflections/ghosting under bright headlights and traffic lights at night, but they are localized to the source and get smaller as it approaches, unlike my cataract starbursts which spread across onto my side of the road.

I'm glad this has worked out so well as I was a little concerned when I just had an Mplus in one eye (like you are).

So if you are going to switch to Comforts, maybe you could talk to you Opthamologist abut doing the second eye first, you might get lucky and not have to pull the other one out.

I hope whatever you end up doing works out and gives you rewarding eyesight, like I now have again.

How is it going now?  I have had mplus in left (recessive) eye for 4 weeks, and had considered, with my optom's advice, having comfort lens in right eye at some point in the future.  I have cataracts, that was my main reason for the op, having been happy wearing contact lenses for myopia for 25 years.
Optical Express seem to prefer to use mplus, but I will continue to pursue the comfort lens option if I believe it to be a better option for me.
I still have the ghosting and halos just as you have described, and vision does blur slightly at lower light levels, so I am interested to follow your progress
best wishes
Sunnygirl
best wishes
Sunnygirl
Hi Sunnygirl,

I am very happy with my MPlus/Comfort combination 4 months down the track.

Daytime vision is superb at all distances (6/6 vision - [metric]). Colour saturation and contrast is wonderful. Lentis Comfort probably slightly sharper at distance but with both eyes open even better - they work together well as a pair. I think my brain is working much better with two IOLs in then when it had to manage a bi-focal IOL in one eye and a human variable focus lens in the other. Even the MPlus eye seems better with the other lens in.

Comfort lens is useful for computer use/reading music (50cm) when text starts to get beyond the close range of the Lentis MPlus. MPlus comes into its own for reading at 30cm (books, Kindle, iPad, food labels).

Night time vision pretty good too. No problems walking around a darkened house - feels like normal vision for night.

Driving at night - lights and high contrast things like speed signs still have some ghosting around the bottom of them if I focus on them, but unless I am thinking about it my brian doesn't really notice it anymore. Its not like the large circular halos that get reported by people with the concentric circle multifocals lenses like Restor/ReZoom - I think they would be more distracting as they go right around the image

So all good here with lovely clear vision after a few years of rapidly deteriorating cataracts. And no glasses at all is a bonus too.

My Optha is happy with the results and said he has been recommending more of this Lens combination since I had mine done.

All the best with your second eye. let us know how it goes.

Hi Rockroad
that sounds fantastic, thanks for the feedback.  I am considering having my right eye done somewhere between 3 and 9 months from now - I need to save up again!
One observation I have that differs from yours is that colours in my left (implanted) eye do not seem brighter, but rather they seem 'colder' and not quite so bright.
I think that what you say about your brain working better with 2 IOLs is very valid. I am still operating on a mono vision basis, which does work, but not as well as both eyes working together.
whatever, it is great to not have the cataract fuzziness any more - my right eye is not as cloudy yet as the left one was, and I don't need reading glasses any more, just a contact lens in my right eye.
Interestingly my left eye is now noticeably whiter than my right eye (I never have very white eyes like some lucky people), I wonder if that will remain the case; I wonder why it is.
Hankhill, if you are watching this, how are you doing?  Have you made any decisions yet?
Best wishes, and thanks for all the info - I do like to do a lot of research!
Sunnygirl
I have also suffered the same outcome with the M+. Initially the surgeon stated that the lens was slightly high. A second op repositioned the lens but the surgeon rotated the lens against my nose without permission ( we had discussed setting it as per manufacturers instructions ).

I find that blanking off the secondary part of the lens with my finger gets rid of the ghosting.

I haven't any solution yet.

I may try eye drops to stop pupil dilation.

Have you had any further results?

> I find that blanking off the secondary part of the lens with
>  my finger gets rid of the ghosting.

That's interesting - i think you are right. If I bring a piece of cardboard up from below my eye while looking at a light - just before it block the view the light loses the little ghosted "skirt" below it. It must be covered the near-field lens at the bottom of the IOL.

Not very practical in most situations but I'll remember it next time I am wanting to look at the moon and see it without any ghosting.

oh yes, that works.  How freaky. As you say, not very practical!  I find tilting my head down helps too, I must be using the right part of the lens, but it looks daft
just had 6 week check, and optom suggested putting interior light on in car when driving at night so help minimise the halos.  Might be worth a try.
i had same experience. mplus lens was implanted on me about 6mos ago. ryt after surgery ive experienced ghosting, double vision, halos and glares and im still experiencing it until now which is really frustrating. i had second opinion and the dr told me that explantation is not possible since its been 6 mos already and it would be very risky. im only 31 yrs old now and i cant imagine that ill be living the rest of my life with this kind of vision... is there another way or other option?
Get another opinion.  I had the mplus explanted after 6 months, and in fact OE didn't want to do it before 6 months, so you are certainly getting conflicting opinions.  The chap in before me had his in for 2 years.  His came out no problem, but mine took an uncomfortable 35 minutes and the surgeon had to leave some of the lens behind.  He got a monofocal inserted and things are way better, no ghosting at all now.  I do still get glare/flare in a room with bright lights in the ceiling.  Oh, and I cant read a damn thing with my right eye now, as its a monofocal lens...
Hi Hankhill
so would you say things are better with the monofocal than before, bearing in mind that you now have no reading vision?
I'm so relieved to find this thread. I had OE LENTIS® Mplus  surgery in the summer. My left eye was done first and the ghosting and glare was really bad. The surgeon said it would all settle down after doing the right eye, which he went ahead and did 8 days later. My right eye is the same and neither have settled down. Daytime vision is distracting to say the least, middle vision is really bad, and driving at night is dangerous because of the glare and loss of contrast. I'm also having awful problems with my left eye during the night - it wakes me frequently due (OE say) to dryness. All in all I'm really upset about the whole thing. OE have finally taken my concerns seriously and have offered to explant with a monofocal, explaining that it needs to be done very soon as this is a complex operation which becomes more risky with time - it should be done within 4 months but it's already almost 6 months since I had the op. Until reading this thread I had been believing what I was told - i.e. that in effect it was my fault because I hadn't adapted to them. I'm waiting to see an NHS consultant (29th January 2014) and don't want to make any decision til then but that means waiting even longer. I just don't know what to do.
Did it help? That's actually illegal in the UK though.
no it didn't help, in fact all it did was flatten the battery when I left the car in the airport car park!
Although I haven't had the same problems as you have, I am now using a contact lens with no prescription in my left eye, as it kept getting subconjuctive haematoma (I think that's it - burst blood vessels to me).  this is from my own Optom, who I trust after 25 years, OE would just keep giving me eye drops.  My tears are not covering the eye properly, because of a pimple, which was protected when I wore contact lenses for the last 25 years, so can't really blame the op for that - it just brought it to the fore.
I haven't adapted much to the halos etc as described in earlier in this thread, and maybe I won't, but driving, and vision in general is so much better than it was with the cataract that I am happy.  When the time comes I will have the other eye done (maybe by OE or maybe not), and may choose the Comfort lens if my Optom recommends it.
Hope you get it all sorted out..Let us know how the consultation goes.
Hello Everyone
I am quite amazed by the wealth of knowledge I have gained by reading this thread. I am a surgeon and want to consider using Comfort for instead of the older models of Multifocal IOLs. Out of interest you guys keep referring to your Optometrist. How is that? why dont you have contact with your surgeon? Is this something that is being promoted in optometry shops of the high streets?
Happy new year to all
To answer your question, yes, since I had my right eye done 10 weeks ago, I have only seen high street optom, I am also experiencing quite a few 'problems' and we are slow walking the process to see if it settles before making the next decision. I am now so concerned that my optom has contacted the surgeon on my behalf to ask his opinion and I await the outcome.
Hi Docproushan - I was finally referred back to the surgeon who performed the op in the summer but I have to say he wasn't very helpful and seemed more concerned with defending his position - perhaps afraid of litigation? It's interesting that another surgeon had told me he wouldn't have done the second eye until the first eye had settled down, but I guess that's just down to the surgeon preference - I'm sure they all do what they think is right at the time so I'm not blaming anyone, I just want to get my vision sorted out. The NHS referral has come to nothing as yet - I waited in clinic for 2 hours only to be told by a junior doctor that she didn't have the experience or the knowledge to advise me. She did though assure me that the lenses were positioned correctly (at least as far as she could see) and has made an appointment for me to see the main consultant in February. Of course this delay makes explanting ever more risky and I'm now at the point where I'm too afraid to risk my eyesight again. I'm just hoping that things will improve but, from what I've been told, that's now unlikely :(
Hi DOCPROUSHAN
my own Optom is a friend, and has been a lot more useful than OE, as you infer the only time you get to speak to the surgeon is just before the op, which is a bit late!  The next day you do not see the surgeon - at least I didn't, maybe you do if there is an immediate problem,.
Anyway, as I have said earlier in the thread, I had to have an op of some sort due to rapidly worsening cataracts, and on the NHS I would not have had the option of a multifocal lens, so I have no regrets, BUT I may consider having the second eye done elsewhere when and if the time comes.  Problem is that 'elsewhere' is best part of twice the price; a sizeable consideration when money is tight to start with!
DocProushan,

After being initially seeing an Optometrist, he referred me to an Opthamologist and that is who I saw from then on - before, during and after the process.

I have noticed on here that many of the Opthamology practices in the UK seem to be more of an "assembly line" where you hardly meet the surgeon. However this may be due to the operation being under the medicare system of the county, I don't know. Maybe if you pay the big bucks you can have a more individualised experience in the UK.

My experience here in Australia was completely the opposite - while my surgeon did have a number of us lined up to do on the actual day of the operations, I saw him multiple times in the lead up, and then one day, 1 week, and 4 weeks post op (for each eye). There was very good communication - when I was initially concerned about the performance of the Lentis MPlus in my left eye he even phoned me one morning as he had been pondering the situation overnight in bed (!) and had a proposal (Lentis Comfort in the other eye). He asked me to think it over and ring him back directly on his mobile! And gladly it has all worked out very well and both lenses are combing together very nicely.
Hi Rockroad
I think now I'm in this system it definitely feels a little like an assembly line, but Multifocal lenses are not covered by the NHS here, you have to pay big bucks for the privilege of having this type of treatment so I guess you would expect more one on one with the surgeon before and after. My experience is that I visited the high street provider who did all the preliminary tests and gave me the only option of a lens replacement as Laser would not give me back my near sight which in hind sight was not that bad really, distance was more than perfect and my left eye is practically Plano. I was then referred for treatment at a private hospital where I saw my surgeon for a five minute chat before  the first procedure where he explained my prescription was such that if I got on ok with just the right eye being done he thought there would be no need to do the left, all follow ups have been back at the high street clinic. Since having the right eye lens replacement, Lentis M Plus 3d, I have suffered with ghosting, glare, star bursts and worst of all blurred vision. It's settled somewhat since the op but 10 weeks in the worst bit is the blurred vision/ghosting which is worse in lower lighting conditions but nevertheless there all the time. It just feels like I have something in the right eye which disappears if I close my left eye and concentrate to focus but I can't maintain it as it aches. Anyway after several visits back to the optom she thinks the neural adaptation process is still taking place and the problem is that 2 images are being transmitted to the back of the eye simultaneously which is causing the aberrations and thinks this will settle given time. I'm optimistically cautious as you can imagine and I don't think at this stage doing the left eye will cure the problem. Apart from which if the left eye turns out like the right, I'd be housebound with totally blurred vision! The optom has now contacted the surgeon to express my concerns and I'm currently awaiting a response.......I understand that approx 1% of people never adapt to this lens and I'm hoping I'm not that unlucky. I currently feel that I have sacrificed a lot to gain a little and if there's no more improvement within the next month or so will almost probably wish that is never had this done! I'm in much the same position as Hankhill23 who started this thread. Now I'm wondering if explanting the lens is the only option but who pays for this I wonder.......??
Hi Soozie64
I had my MPlus done by OE and, although as someone here has already pointed out, I only saw the surgeon 5 mins before he did the op and he was talking so fast he left my head in a spin, before running off (literally) to do the next op. Post-op was with Optometrists in town shops who, I have to say, are worse than useless if you're having problems.They eventually referred me back to a surgeon because I rang their HO and told them my doctor had referred me to the NHS Eye Clinic. I know people who've had lens replacements on the NHS (not multifocal - NHS don't do them because they are so problematic!) and they had a 1-on-1 with their surgeon right the way through - sadly in a private clinic it's all down to cost and surgeons are probably reluctant to spend time in consultation. However, I have to say that OE have told me they will do everything possible to sort my vision out at no extra cost to me - including an ex-plant. Trouble is, the surgeon frightened me so much about the risks involved in that, that I'm now wondering if he did that in the hope I wouldn't have it done because maybe he would have financial responsibility for it! My advice to anyone reading this thread, who is contemplating multifocal lenses through private surgery, is to have the less dominant eye done first and see how it goes before having the other eye done. By the way, I'd like to know where the stat of 1% of people have problem,s with these lenses has come from - I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's far greater than that - and also that it may be dependent on many other variables, e.g. age, contact lens wearers, previous prescription etc... I don't think enough research has been done and I suspect very strongly that we are all part of an ongoing post-clinical trail. At OE after each post-op appointment I was asked to complete an (anonymous) on-line survey about how the lenses were settling down. That worries me.
I really hope your vision improves to meet your expectations of this exciting journey.

Not all private practises are horrendously expensive.

I am having my first lens replaced on Thursday 16th Jan, at Circle (private hospital) near Bath. OE wanted £1900 per eye for the Mplus. Jonathan Luck, consultant ophthalmologist at Bath eye hospital and Bristol Royal United Eye hospital, charges £2400 per eye to implant the Finevision tri-focal lens, but more importantly, he performed all the pre-op diagnostics, and personally does the pre-op, lens replacement, one day, one week and one month post op checks, and is on the end of the phone should you need help for the next twelve months. I feel this warrants the extra charged over the OE price.

Will report in another thread my experience with this lens and the progress, good or bad.

Phil
I can't remember my total cost (before rebate) but I think it was over AUD$5000 including opthamologist, anaesthetist, day surgery and lenses. However I got some back on Medicare (your NHS) and most of the rest back on my private health insurance.

When you say "High Street" - do you actually mean a street called High Street, or is that an English term for "the top end of town" expensive medical?
Good luck for Thursday, I hope your outcome is as successful as mine!  My vision (with Zeiss trifocals) is going from strength to strength, absolutely no need for specs.  These lenses really do seem to tick all the boxes.

Rockroad - High Street is actually a slightly derogative term, used to identify a fast-throughput, conveyor-belt type of business with lack of individual attention.
I wish I'd known about trifocal lenses, I did research on Google but could only find info on the MPlus multifocal being the latest lens technology. I'd have willingly paid more had I known there were better lens available. I did take my surgeon to task about the MPlus multifocal - I asked him why they're called multifocal when actually they're Bifocal. He didn't have an answer apart from that's what the manufacturer has called them! When I agreed to have them implanted, I had understandably assumed they were what they said 'on the tin'. I've got another appointment with a different surgeon next week, I'll mention the Finevision Trifocal and see what he says though the thought of having my eyes messed about with again is real scary - especially as I'm still having really bad dry eye problems with my left eye.
Well as you know Jo, i'm booked in to have my Dom eye m+ out on Thurs 16th Jan. I'm still waiting to hear from OE as to what they are planning to put in lol, it's going to bean interesting conversation that's for sure.
Thanks, so glad you are still improving. Off to bed now, 8:00am appointment tomorrow. Will post a new thread starting tomorrow. I do realise that generally people with problems post on help forums, but I believe it is also important to get a diary of a replacement procedure.

Jo, there are several alternatives but months of research has led me to only two lenses, if suitable, as being AT Lisa tri and Finevision tri. I have looked really hard and just can't find negative reports of either, and they really need not be horrendously more expensive. I don't think though one should be pricing eyes like a tin of baked beans, they are far too precious.

Phil
Hi Jo000
Your experience pretty much mirrors my own. I've now been referred back to Surgeon for a review. The Optom said she strongly recommends I now go ahead and have the 2nd eye implanted as she feels it would make me feel more balanced. The problem I have is that I'm now very reluctant to go ahead with another costly surgery without some cast iron reassurances that this will cure the problems I'm experiencing, I'm practically Plano in the left eye which was my dominant eye but apparently my right implanted eye has now become the dominant eye....... I just don't know what to think. I don't want to end up with blurring and ghosting in both eyes and to be honest I don't particularly like the way I 'see' with the implanted eye, it's different, colder somewhat. Did the surgeon say what the risks and drawbacks were of ex-planting? I'm keep to share thoughts etc as this might be my choice even if it means going back to glasses for near sight as my distance was always perfect.
Kind regards Soos
I really can't say what's the best thing to do. I'm nearly 7 months post-op now and the glare and blurring are not improving. However, I have seen two separate OE surgeons and they both recommend I have the (originally) dominant eye ex-planted and a monofocal put in. They say it's risky and I'll have to have it done at Harley Street clinic (at their expense). One said it needed to be done ASAP, the other said it is possible to ex-plant up to 18months but the longer you leave it, the more the risk. I'm seeing a NHS consultant next Tues but I don't expect him/her to tell me any different. So . . . .basically it's my call. My main concern is the risk (worse case scenario is I could lose sight in that eye) but also the fact that they tell me the ghosting will probably go but the glare probably won't (I think it's mainly the glare that makes night driving difficult) + I'll need reading glasses. Weighing all this up I've (almost) made my decision - to leave things as they are. I hope that as I get more used to the weird vision that the problem will diminish and my brain will eventually accept it!! But it's a tough call!
Hi Jo000
From what you say it's a heck of a dilemma you're facing, damned if you do n damned if you don't.....I just don't think I can put up with the blurring/ghosting forever, it kinda defeats the object of having this done in the first place. I'm 14 weeks in, seeing surgeon in another 6 and am not hopeful that anything will change in that time. I certainly do not want to sacrifice the perfect sight I have in my left eye in the hope it will be the 'fix' for the right eye. Keep me posted if you will, it's good to know we're not alone and like you I suspect the 'real' stats would show a higher percentage of people having similar problems. I'm also not doing anymore online surveys in the store.
Regards Soos
Did you have the ex-plant? How did it go and how's your vision now?
Hi Soos - I'm wondering if it's worse for you because you were long-sighted to begin with and so could see distances clearly. To now have impaired distance vision must be terrible. I was short-sighted and so always wore glasses or contact lenses for distance so at least I can now see distances without glasses even though there is ghosting there. If I transplant one eye with a monofocal I'll need reading glasses, which I've never needed before. I think it's that more than anything that's making me think I'll leave my eyes alone now. Yes I have ghosting and glare BUT I don't need to wear any glasses and the only reason I had this done was so I could dispense with glasses and contacts. I think I'll get used to it in time - and honestly, I just don't want to risk my eyesight by swapping one set of problems for another. And also, re: the OE surveys - they don't ask me to complete them anymore either, and also whenever they send me correspondence it seems to infer that I had laser treatment, not lens exchange!  Jo
Hi Jo000
It will be interesting to see what the NHS consultant thinks following your appt Tuesday, they should at least be impartial? Hope your eyes settle and you don't have to make any decisions whether to risk explanting etc. I'll let you know what OE say following my surgeon review, just wish I could go to the new clinic 1/2 hour away instead of having to go back to the one over 2 hours away to see the surgeon that performed the first implant, he won't be doing the other eye regardless.
Cheers Soos
Umm. . .well . . OE made me go back to see the surgeon who'd done the op (a 2 hour drive away) because the local centre wasn't open when I had my op. So I did a round trip of 4h having been told there were a number of options to discuss, only to be told ex-plant was the only option. They didn't do any tests - I could have been told that on the phone! Today, I've just got back from my NHS appointment - pretty appalling really! They keep cancelling the appointments and not letting me know - and that happened today. Another 2 hours wasted. My last NHS appointment was 23rd Dec and after waiting for 3 hours I finally saw a doctor who said she was a Junior doc and not qualified to deal with lens implants. Hence my appointment today. I now have another appointment on the 10th March but I expect they'll cancel that without telling me as well. Oh and whilst driving back home, a stone hit my car windscreen and cracked it!!!!! The Universe seems to be telling me something!!
Oh crikey, you do seem to be having a time of it at the moment!! I do hope I don't end up going all that way for a similar response, I will be cross if this happens. Can't seem to find any information re contra-indications/risk of explanting, going to do some more digging, forewarned is forearmed as they say.
Regards Soos
I feel for you both with your ongoing battles to get some satisfaction from OE. I know the excitement that exists at the start of this expensive journey. For it to be compromised in this way must be so frustrating and worrying. Whilst my vision isn't yet perfect, it is at least without complications. I wish you both well in your quest to have the vision you both deserve and have paid such a price for. Do please keep us all informed as to the progress.

Phil
Hi, I'm a 52 year old male, I had cataracts and M Plus IOL's implanted in January of last year (2013). It's OE, the op was at Westfield, I can recommend Byron Burger. This January I had laser correction on the left eye to no particular avail. I'm still suffering from low contrast and blurred vision. That being said when I read a chart I'm seeing 6/6 or better, and my reading vision is great. Sounds like the ideal outcome? Well, not really. Intermediate distances are little short of atrocious, at 3 - 5 meters I find it hard to recognise faces. Quality of vision between left and right eyes varies markedly. High contrast edges produce ghosting / fringing, point sources –especially at night – produce semi-haloes underneath. I beat up BUPA last year to pay for a second opinion from another surgeon and he was of the opinion that the operation was fine, the health of the eye is good, the implantation was correctly centred and that my vision should be good. Therefore it seems inevitable that this is a neuroadaptation problem. This was effectively confirmed by an OE optician just this week who recommended me make an appointment to see Prof Jan Venter, potentially with a view to explantation. Gulp.
I am unclear as to: the specific dioptre of the M Plus lens, whether the original operation involved a posterior capsule YAG capsulotomy – I’m inclined to assume not if OE are even contemplating explantation – and what my options – surgical and non-surgical - are. I’ve seen Jan Venter before, he seemed like a reasonable guy and gave my eyes a very thorough examination. That being said this is the only direct contact I’ve had with him and whether that’s sufficient grounds for letting him scoop my eyes open with a sharp implement does give me pause.
I feel as though I’m looking at the world through a ground-glass screen. It’s subtly disturbing and presents unexpected problems. When looking at a computer screen for example I find myself searching for buttons or icons that previously I would have found immediately. The speed with which I recognise things has reduced. Driving is not too bad, but lots of haloes and I really have to concentrate at night (not saying that I didn’t previously, but I’m sure you know what I mean!)
I’d be very interested in comments about alternative lenses, how people felt about the explantation experience with OE, just how dam’ scary that op is and so on. I spend about 9 hours a day in front of  a computer (CGI and graphic / 3d design) so I may be overly sensitive / downright paranoid. I know I need to do something, I’m just not sure what...
The condition of my sight is exactly as you describe, in every detail. I've decided to leave it be and hope that I get used to this new way of seeing the world. It seems apparent to me that explantation will just swap one set of problems for another and the risk involved in removing the M Plus seems too great - though one of the OE surgeons did say he explanted one guy after 18 months. I still haven't got to see the NHS consultant yet - they've messed my appointments up so much that they've now promised I'll get to see the senior consultant on 10th March. I'll report back after that but I don't think he'll tell me anything I don't already know.
Thanks for the info Jo000. I've Just in the past 15 minutes had a call from another surgeon who has a cancellation available today, so basically I'm going for a second opinion before I see OE. I think this is going to cost me a chunk of money, but as you say the risks of explantation seem so high that to even contemplate it without getting as much information as possible seems insane.I think the seething resentment here is that I did explain to OE at the outset what I did for work and what my expectations were, and these were glibly overlooked. I was told in my initial consultation that they could guarantee 6/6 vision over distance but would not make any promises about close-up / reading, which seemed fair. However, at my most recent consultation the OE optician, who seemed competent, truthful and concerned, told me that the quality of vision from M Plus lenses even at a distance would never approach that which I had with rigid gas permeable lenses. Now, I'm biased because of my job but for heavens sake, this is the 21st century and Photoshop has been around for over 20 years. Is it much of a conceptual leap to take some pictures on a camera and then illustrate the types of phenomena and quality of vision that results as an outcome? Given that these techniques exist and have existed for many years, how is it possible for OE and others to claim that they are providing sufficient information for informed consent when they purely rely on text descriptions? It's the subtle misdirections that annoy me most, covered by the blanket excuse that they don't want to suggest problems to the patient before the patient has noticed them themselves. It's rubbish, its disingenuous - and damn, I'm starting to rant - sorry! Better stop now before I turn green...
I agree totally about the visual information. When the concerns about my vision were continually dismissed by OE at the follow up appointments - they kept saying, "It'll clear. It'll adjust. It just takes time," - I actually photoshopped some photographs to show them what I was seeing. The surgeon who did the op in Manchester wouldn't even look at them, he said he knew what I was seeing and didn't need to look at photos. Re: middle vision - I'm an author and work on my computer nearly everyday - and yes I told them this BEFORE the op. My computer vision is appalling and seems to be going worse. In fairness OE have ordered me glasses to wear whilst on computer but I'm still waiting for them after 5 weeks. So yes, rant away - I'll join you!
Well, I had an interesting visit to another surgeon in the area on Thursday. He examined the eye and said that then lens was well centred and that it had  been implanted correctly. He was in fact pretty complimentary about the job the OE surgeon had done. He also said he'd heard generally good things about the Lentis lens although he said he used a different brand purely because he'd had good results and had no reason to change. So anyway, it confirms mine is a neuroadaptation issue, which I'd pretty much suspected, but it was good to get it confirmed independently. So the badd news was that explantation is risky, and implanting monofocal lenses in these circumstances is no guarantee of good vision. Basically I was told to man-up and get used to it. I won't go into my reaction to that because it would be pointless, but suffice it to say the unappealing prospect of explantation just got even less appealing. An upside, maybe. First he thought the laser surgery I had on the left eye would reset the clock as far as adaptation was concerned, so I should  view my situation as being only a month or so into the process, not a year. Second - well, I'm not sure but I do feel I see some improvement in the inferior eye when I wear an eye patch over he dominant one. I'm going to see if forcing adaptation helps (I tried the gabor patch software, its not very good software so the results were inconclusive) but I do wonder if this is a process which can be jumpstarted in any way. Not wishing to sound fatalistic, but 'we'll see...'
You've been told what I expect to be told - and actually what I've already accepted, as I do believe OE when they tell me it's a neuro-adaptation problem. In my case not helped I think in that I seem to have had a dominant eye reversal since the surgery. Interesting though that you mention aids to adaptation and also the possibility of laser fine tuning - I'll investigate both those options. I'll wait now and see what the NHS consultant says on the 10th March but I don't expect I'll be going down the explant route either.
'He said he knew what I was seeing and didn't need to look at photos.' I've been chewing on that since you posted it, and a few things came to mind. How did he know? Has he had MF-IOL's implanted himself? Undoubtedly he's heard descriptions of patients outcomes but to me such images would be a very important and interesting data-point, a useful reference even if only from an academic perspective. To ignore them seems to suggest a worrying degree of complacency.
Second thing comes as a result of a conference I attended in 2000. ACM SIGGRAPH is the leading event for computer graphics, and one of the hot topics back then was something referred to as simulator sickness. It was interesting then because of the expectations of virtual reality headsets, and is in fact coming back into fashion now because of the Kickstarter funded Occulus Rift project - a gaming VR headset. Anyway, I sat through a rather lengthy but fascinating panel on simulator sickness and its commonalities with motion sickness, sea sickness and even space sickness experienced by astronauts in microgravity. The underlying topic was in fact neuroadaptation and how the structures - whorls - on the back of the brain physically change shape as a consequence. The defining paper in this area seems to be: Sensory Rearrangement Theory, presented by Reason and Brand (1975). You can read an update on this at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1436193/pdf/jrsocmed00291-0059.pdf (Reason is basically arguing that this gets better over time) and see how influential the thinking was by glancing at: http://www.hitl.washington.edu/publications/r-98-22/ch9.html or many other papers which are freely available. Sorry, this is long-winded but you mentioned you're an author so I guessed you might have a liking for research :)
My point really is this: neuroadaptation is an extremely large field, some of the best research has been funded by US DARPA programmes (the interest is mainly flight simulators) and every surgeon I've come across so far is just playing at it.
They don't have a damn clue. Their main area of interest - rightly so - is in the mechanics and optics of the eye; to claim that they're now also experts in the the extraordinarily complex changes which occur within what is actually the most complex known structure in the entire universe - the human brain - is disingenuous to the point of being risible. If your surgeon was even vaguely interested in neuroadaptation he'd have bitten your arm off to take a look at those photos. 'He knew what I was seeing.' Prat.
The whole multi-focal lens industry is based on a subtle lie, which is that manufacturers and surgeons sufficiently understand what's going on with the second part of the vision system - the brain. Multifocal lenses are inherently unnatural, and for them to work something equally unnatural has to happen - inside your head. I just wish they'd stop shrugging their shoulders and saying 'yeah, that's neuroadaptation for you' and actually have conversations with neurologists and neuro-thereapists who might be capable of devising strategies for fixing the bloody problem.
Yep, that'll be a rant then...!
My surgery was to rid me of glasses.

Pre implantation of my M+. I was wanting to get my non dominant eye done first. The week before surgery I was advised by the consultant to have the dominant eye done. It was done, but I had major issues of ghosting and blurring of images from 5' to infinity. The worst was not being able to recognise faces of people about 20' away.  My initial op was Nov 2012. Symptoms as described - basically the two images were overlaid and caused blurring. A second image is not noticeable, its just like looking through a slightly opaque lens. Close vision was OK, but everything beyond 5' was poor. After three months the surgeon suggested that the lens was slightly too low in the eye and he could adjust its position. He even suggested rotating it 180. I wanted the lens as per the manufacturers instructions. The surgeon reported that the op went well - but whilst still lying on the couch with the patch on, he then said that he had rotated the lens towards my nose.

Its over a year since the "adjustment" and the symptoms remain the same. To try and force neuroadaption.the surgeon has suggested wearing a single lens on the non dominant eye. This has just shown me how much I have lost. My dominant eye used to be about 30% better than the non dominant eye (in terms of quality of vsion) now my non dominant eye (with a corrective glasses lens) is about 30% better than my dominant eye. When wearing the lens, half the time my dominant eye appears to switch.

Surgery is genuinely my last, but probably only, option now. Probably going to have to explant and replace with a mono. This leaves me much worse off than before the initial surgery. I'll be permanently stuck with reading glasses! (if all goes well)

Yes the warnings pre -op were serious. Threats about going blind - but they were so unrealistic ! Nothing about so many people not adapting to the lens. I think that patients should be told the actual percentages of contraindicatons, preop, instead of - being told post op "weve done thousands of these and never had the problems you're describing"

I really wish I hadnt had the initial op!
Thank you Peppersghost - this is really useful. I'll read the papers before seeing the NHS surgeon next week and maybe request a referral to the neuro clinic.
Really sorry to hear your report - and concerned too because it looks like all of us on here will be in the same position after 12 months. If someone had shown me a photoshopped photo of how I would (might) be seeing the world post-op, I definitely wouldn't have had it done either. I'm 7 months post-op and my vision is still changing - distance remains the same, middle vision is terrible now, near vision is not as good as initially post-op, it's now about what it was pre-op, ghost and glare still present, and watching TV has become irritating because of the glare, fuzzy faces and huge halos of light around the screen :(
I'm starting to wonder if a complaint to the advertising standards authority isn't in order - I can't think of any other industry where you'd get away with this. Mcav8r, when you say the surgeon thought the lens was too low in the eye did that have any other side effects? Reason for asking is that I've noticed when looking at relative positions of things from left eye to right (such as your thumb held at arms length) they tend to move diagonally. Before the op I'm pretty sure I only saw horizontal movement, not vertical as well. Not that it's especially helpful, but I'm starting to wonder if my inability to adapt is in part down to the different positions of views of my surroundings - the left image is too far out of place, the brain can't compensate and so blurs it. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this also?
Hi Peppersghost, I have checked out the relative views from the different eyes. My left still has the natural lens, the right the M+. Very minor differences in position perception, the left eye on its own sees an image which when viewed from the right eye is larger and slightly up and to the right. Its as if when resizing a computer window, the top right corner is dragged diagonally to enlarge it. I dont think however that this is an issue.
To view things clearly at intermediate and far distance I have to shut my right eye. Or tilt my head away from the object so that teh near vision part of the m+ is blocked from seeing the image by my nose! When I do that (block out the near vision part of the lens) I am very impressed with the quality of the image.

If I only had one eye, the one with the m+, my vision would be completely unacceptable.

I really am very disappointed with it.
Hi Jo
I saw my surgeon yesterday to discuss the problems with blurring/ghosting/haloes etc. firstly I have to say he is a very nice chap indeed, he reassured me there is nothing physically wrong with the lens, my eye looks good and I have 20/20 vision with some improvement in my near sight to what it was but I'm seeing different images being transmitted to the retinas and my brain just has to adapt. I need a YAG laser treatment to clean up the lens as it's clouding, a bit like having cling film over it and this might be a contributory factor to the star bursts I see around light sources however if I have the YAG I won't be able to explant so I have to wait to see if I can adapt before deciding to explant, YAG and have the other eye done.
It's just very frustrating as you know to gain little to nothing and to have effectively compromised so much more!! I'm not having the left eye done in the hopes of correcting the problems with the right eye as this does not make sense to me, I'm in exactly the same position as you, Peppersghost, Mcav8r as we have blurred vision........which we did not expect!
How did your appointment with NHS chap go and how did you get that appointment? Have you gone private or was it GP referral?
Hope to hear from you soon, kind regards Soos
Hi Soozie - my appointment was on Monday and, yes, it was a GP referral. They dilated my pupils and did a thorough exam. The Consultant confirmed what OE had said - that the lenses had been implanted perfectly and were central. However, he explained that it's well nigh impossible to control the position of the lens in the eye as it all depends on the shape and size of your lens capsule. Each lens has four 'legs' that attach to the inside of the lens capsule and all the surgeon can do is place the lens in a central position - he has no control over the shape/size of your lens capsule, which obviously will be a factor in how the lens sits. That makes a lot of sense and it's this that probably accounts for the ghosting. I asked him about neuroadaptation and he said he'd never heard of it. When I explained he seemed to think it was nonsense. I agree with that too - if you've got two images falling on the retina, you're going to see two images no matter how much you tell yourself you're only seeing one. Of course you can learn to ignore it but that's not neuro-adaptation - that's just ignoring it. He also said that he does not use multifocal lenses either in his NHS work or his private work - because of these potential problems. When I asked him what he'd do if he was me, he said he'd have the right lens explanted and a monofocal put in - he also said this would be safer being done by OE as they are used to working with multifocals whereas NHS consultants are not and the op may take longer and carry more risk. So basically his advice was exactly the same as the OE surgeons. So, what to do? I'm still wary of the risk involved in explanting and having to go through the healing process all over again. OE have just given me glasses to wear for computer work, so at least I'm not struggling with middle distance vision now. The ghosting during daylight is becoming less noticeable I think, but night time driving is still really problematic - and no one can tell me whether that will improve if I have the explant, though the NHS consultant thought it might.It's now nearly 8 months since I had the op and I know I must decide soon what to do - I just seem to be paralysed with indecision and want to just carry on burying my head in the sand in the hope it'll all just go away :(
Jo000, I've got to be honest, for an ophtalmic surgeon to say he's never heard of  neuroadaptation seems more than a little frightening to me? Disagreeing with the premise is one thing, but never to have heard of it? The surgeon I saw gave the same 'wait and see' line, but he also pointed out that the risk of not achieving a satisfactory outcome with monofocals was also high. I'm not seeing Jan Venter until next month, but I've pretty much decided not to explant - it feels like it could be jumping from the frying pan to the fire...
Thanks for your comments, let us know how you get on. As for the decision whether or not to explant, I'm feeling like I'm plucking petals off a daisy: I will explant, I will not explant, I will explant, I will not . . . . . . . ad infinitum!