Eye Care Community
Anyone have experiance with the Softec HD IOL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Does anyone have any experiance with the Softec HD from Lenstec.  I was told by a surgeon it can give good intermediate and even near vision, even though it is a monofocal lens.  I read that it tends to give these results in hyperopic and emmetropic eyes.  I am intending to get monovision so I hope this lens can give me a clear range of vision.

chiutney
I have no experience with this IOL.

Dr. O.
I have had the Softec HD IOL for 6 weeks in my right eye.  That eye is now 20/20 on the tests, whatever that means.  I have extraordinary visual acuity from about 6 feet to infinity in the daytime, better than I have had since I was a young child. At night, I have noticeable glare and halos, which I understand are due mostly to the lens.  I also have less visual acuity at night - more nearsighted by about about .25 diopters, by my experiments.  I am going to get glasses to drive at night and to see movies on the big screen at any time - they are also more blurry, although TV in a darkened room is fine.  Absolutely no ability to see anything closer than 6 feet with clarity, though.  I still have a nearsighted left eye and tried monovision, which drove me crazy because I work at a computer all day, and the eye strain was unbearable.  I am going to get the left lens replaced - it has a less-developed cataract - next week because of this.  I found that both eyes could not work together with monovision when I spent all day doing computer coding, where you need to be able to see the difference between a comma and a semi-colon clearly every second that you are working.  Be sure to get your distance eye first and then experiment with monovision before you get a close-up vision lens implanted - I have since talked to other coders who told me that monovision drove them crazy, also..