Eye Care Community
Arcus Senilis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Arcus Senilis

I have a white half ring around the upper part of my iris (both eyes) and I believe it is called Arcus Senilis due to cholesterol deposits in my eyes. They appeared a few years ago and I was told by my GP it could be hereditary or caused by cholesterol. My cholesterol level is around 6, which I know is high, but would this be enough to cause this condition. Would lowering my cholesterol mean the rings would dissapear? Do they get bigger in size?
The cornea arcus is not hereditary. It is either due to elevated cholesteral or due to aging (its considered normal after 70).

The arcus will not go away even if the cholesterol is lowered to normal levels. It never interfers with vision as it stays confined to the peripheral cornea.

JCH MD
Well I read that its common in older people, I'm 19 and I just noticed it one day while in the mirror, is this a bad sign?
It may not be arcus senilis but it could be there is a condition called arcu juvenalis. Often associated with very high levels of blood cholesterol. See an Eye MD to get a precise diagnosis.

JCH MD
Hello.  I am a 42 year old woman, have not gone through menopause, and my cholesterol level is a little high (about 220), LDL is not bad but can't remember the number. It was tested about 3 months ago.  I saw an optometrist because I was concerned about the whitish arc I noticed on the top half of the iris in my eyes.  She diagnosed arcus senilis.  I don't seem to fit the "normal' criteria. Should I be concerned, get another opinion, or just not worry about this since my vision has not changed......
Thanks!
At your age it is not arcus senilis it would be arcus juvenalis.  It indicates cholesterol is high enough to come out of the blood stream and be deposited in one layer of the cornea, it can happen same whay in heart, brain, extremities. People with AJ have higher than normal rates of heart attacks and strokes. You should strongly consider vigorous diet and exercise repeat blood lipids in 4 months if still that high have a heart to heart with your MD about a statin drug.

JCH MD
Are there any natural cures for the rings around the eye
Once it forms it rarely goes away. To prevent: diet, exercise, keep blood cholesterol and triglycerides low.

JH MD
I am a 33 year old female and have white ring around in my right eye. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it or is there anything I can do or take to make it go away?
If it is an arcus senilis then it cannot be removed.  However at 33 y/o it is often associated with elevated cholesterol or/and triglycerides. Your personal physician should order a fasting lipid profile and you should discuss with him or her.

You should also see an Eye MD ophthalmologist to get a accurate diagnosis. There are other, rarer things that can cause white rings around the cornea. Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD