Eye Care Expert Forum
Are my eyes allergic to my contacts?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Are my eyes allergic to my contacts?

I have been having itchy red eyes for the past 6 months or so and I have seen three different doctors during this time. Each one has told me it is pink eye and given me drops, which make it go away. After it goes away I buy new eye make-up, contact case, and get fresh contacts. I also wash my pillow cases and towels to make sue any trace of the infection is gone. As soon as I put the new contacts in, it comes back. Recently, I have noticed that if I put my contacts in, within 5 hours my eyes are red and itchy. But once I take them out my eyes go back to normal within 3-4 hours. Am I allergic to my lenses or is something else happening?
You are definitely allergic to the contacts. This may be difficult to overcome, but you will need to avoid using them for quite some time. During this time, treat other seasonal allergies and try to use only preservative free drops.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.