Astigmatism problems for my two daughters
Dear Sir/Madam,

Recently my two daughters were found to have the astigmatism problems. My wife and I are really worried about it, so just want to get more information here.

Elder daughter: 4 years old. Clinical findings are notable for mild hyperopia with a significant astigmatism noted for each eye. (+3.50/-4.00 at 180°, bilaterally). The doctor prescribed the glasses with +2.50/-4.00 at 180° for each eye, and will follow it up in two months.

My questions: 1) will the problems of hyperopia and astigmatism get improvement after wearing classes? 2) will this significant astigmatism cause any other eye diseases, such as myopia or even amblyopia? 3) Any special treatment we should use?

Younger daughter: 4 and half months old. She has been found to have astigmatism for each eye (-2.50 at 180°, bilaterally) today. She was asked to come back for a review in six months.

My questions: 1) will this get as serious as her sister when she grows up? 2) as she is so little now, will the problems of astigmatism get improvement or even disappear when she grows up? 3) Any special treatment we need to do for her?

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you about the professional advice.

Yours sincerely,

Ken

The progression of refractive changes can not be predicted.  F/u is needed to determine changes.  Uncorrected significant refractive errors at this age will lead to ambyopia.

Dr. O.
Thank you Doctor Oyakawa. The Eye Specialist said most infant get problems of astigmatism, and most of them will get back to normal after they grow up. Is it correct? For my younger daughter, as she is less than five months, is the 2.50 astigmatism within the normal range? Thank you.
I do not agree. Most people have a small amount of astigmatism.  However, 2.5 D is not not common.

Dr. O.
Thank you Doctor. I understand  it is hard to predict what will happen in future. But for her case, generally speaking, do you think the situation will get better or worse when she grows up? Is there anything we need to do or be careful with before her six months review? Thanks a lot.