Astimatism (Myopic) on both eyes
Hello Doctor, My daughter aged 3 and a half years was examined in Dec 2009 after complaining watering in her right eyes. On examination ,her UCVA right eye was 6/36 and left eye was 6/24 which improved to 6/12 both eye with glasses . Anterior segment and Fundus was normal both eyes. She was diagnosed to have myopic astigmatism both eye. We advised her glasses and to review with us after four months.

Earlier at the age of birth, she was having discharge through her eyes (when catches cold) and when we consulted doctor, a gentle regular massage over her nose will help opening up of pores at her eyes, and to our surprise the major discharge happened through her nose. It is still happening now. However, her eye (right eye) getting watering (not always during the day, some 5 to 6 times a day). What could be the problem? Is she can be corrected watering as well as vision by using glasses. She is wearing glasses now. Is there any exercise which can support this? We force her to eat non-veg. She likes veg only. She doesn't like fish at all. People say fish eating children will have less eye problem. Is this true? Is there any food supplement, that can be prescribed to her to correct this? Please advise. Please help. Your suggestion is very valuable to us. Please reply.
Diet does not have a big role in myopia.

The watering problem may be a partially blocked tear duct. I suggest seeing a pediatric ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon to see if the tear ducts are blocked. If so irrigation or probing may open them and stop watering.

JCH MD