Eye Care Community
Asymmetrical

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Asymmetrical

7376565?1320379621
I've recently noticed that my face is asymmetrical, the right side seems smaller or recessed compared to the left side which seems more developed. In terms of shape the sides don't really seem to differ; just in size. What really bothers me is that my right eye seems much smaller than the left and it seems out of place. Also it seems as if my right eyelid droops down. This really has been bothering me since it is fairly noticeable in photos or if your looking directly at me and I'm rather self-conscious about it. I never really noticed it until a few months ago but I looked at some pictures from a couple years ago and it seemed to be present so it doesn't seem to be a new development. I am aware that some asymmetry is normal but I find with most people it really isn't all that noticeable but I find that it's quite apparent with me. I'm wondering if this could possibly be due to some medical problem, like a growth defect or something?
It is much much more noticable to you than other people. You do have some very minor assymetry of the upper lids but no severe drooping (ptosis).

I suggest you see an oculoplastic surgeon. Take in some good facial photos taken over the past 10 years so the surgeon can evaluate any change.

You can also ask about facial assymetry; Nothing is the photo is very abnormal.

JCH MD