Eye Care Expert Forum
BLUE TINT IN WHITE PART OF MY EYES?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

BLUE TINT IN WHITE PART OF MY EYES?

: : It's a circular blue tint in white part of my eyes...should i be concerned?
  : : Thanks-Renee
  : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  : Renee,
  : It is difficult to say for sure what you have without actually seeing you.  Another important variable is your age.  Young people get different things compared with older people.
  : There are a few rare things which can cause scleral discoloration.  Some collagen diseases such as osteogenesis imperfecta can give a blue tint to the sclera (the white part of the eye).  Some metabolic diseases like hyperbilirubinemia or alkaptonuria can give a yellow brown discoloration.
  : Aging can also discolor the sclera.
  : Most cases of scleral discoloration are benign and do not require treatment, but it is important to have it checked by an ophthalmolgist to make sure it is not one of these rare conditions.  If you do not have an ophthalmologist and are in the Michigan area, you can see one of the ophthalmologists at the Henry Ford Hospital.
  : This information is provided for educational purposes only.  It is important to see your ophthalmologist for diagnostic and treatment options.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  I'm turning 30 next week. I have Graves' Disease,could this have anything to do with it?
  Renee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renee,
Graves disease can have effects on the eyes but these are usually not blue tinted sclera.
I think it is appropriate for you to be examined by your ophthalmolgist for a definitive answer.  
Any more specific information is hard to provide without seeing you.
Disclaimer:
This information is provided for educational purposes only.  Please see your physician for individualized diagnostic and treatment options.

Sincerely,
HFHS MD - NI