Eye Care Expert Forum
BP meds and blurry vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

BP meds and blurry vision

I am a 49 year old female. I am taking perindopril 4mg once a day for hypertension. Except for hereditary HT, I am healthy and active, a non-smoker and not overweight. I developed blurry vision in my left eye about 4 months after I started taking perindopril. The vision in my left eye is now permanently blurry. The optometrist referred me to an opthalmologist (the first appointment I could get is in 14 months). The optometrist suspects corneal problems. Why/how does perindopril cause vision problems? Should I try to see an opthalmologist sooner? Thank you for your time.
I doubt it is the medication.  Medication side effects generally affect both eyes, although sometimes unevenly.  This problem is only in one eye.  I'm guessing you are in the UK or Canada.  I would suggest paying out of pocket to see an ophthalmologist sooner.
Thank you, Dr. Brown. About 3 years before the blurred vision started and before I started taking BP meds.,I noticed that my left eye bulges slightly. At that time an ophthalmologist measured my eyes and said the left eye appears to be bulging, but the measurements are perfectly fine. I have already started to make arrangements to see an ophthalmologist sooner.