Eye Care Expert Forum
Betadine

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Betadine

One of the first cautions for use of Betadine is not to get in your eyes.  My retinal doctor pours it on my eye ball prior to an injection.  If I'm lucky I can get my eye lid closed and prevent it from going on the eye ball, but if that doesn't happen, my eye is swollen shut for two days and very irritated.  I am unable to work and in pain.  I understand wanting to used Betadine on the lid and outer eye area to remove bacteria, but dumping this stuff right on the eye is brutallity.  
Betadine use is one of the best ways we have to prevent an eye infection. We use it on the eye surface prior to intraocular surgery or intravitreal injections, to kill surface and lid bacteria and prevent them from getting into the eye. These infections could lead to loss of vision, or even loss of the eye. Ask your doctor to dilute the Betadine with saline; this might make it more comfortable and tolerable.
Have you researched to see if that is "standard procedure" ?  I think they use it before surgeries (but not sure), but it sounds sloppy to let it get into your eye and irritate it for an injection.
Do some more reading and don't be afraid to ask your dr. point blank, is it doing any damage to your eye.