Eye Care Expert Forum
Betadine
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Betadine

One of the first cautions for use of Betadine is not to get in your eyes.  My retinal doctor pours it on my eye ball prior to an injection.  If I'm lucky I can get my eye lid closed and prevent it from going on the eye ball, but if that doesn't happen, my eye is swollen shut for two days and very irritated.  I am unable to work and in pain.  I understand wanting to used Betadine on the lid and outer eye area to remove bacteria, but dumping this stuff right on the eye is brutallity.  
2078052_tn?1331936700
Betadine use is one of the best ways we have to prevent an eye infection. We use it on the eye surface prior to intraocular surgery or intravitreal injections, to kill surface and lid bacteria and prevent them from getting into the eye. These infections could lead to loss of vision, or even loss of the eye. Ask your doctor to dilute the Betadine with saline; this might make it more comfortable and tolerable.
2 Comments
Blank
1932338_tn?1349223998
Have you researched to see if that is "standard procedure" ?  I think they use it before surgeries (but not sure), but it sounds sloppy to let it get into your eye and irritate it for an injection.
Do some more reading and don't be afraid to ask your dr. point blank, is it doing any damage to your eye.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
MedHelp Health Answers