Better Vision When Looking Straight Down
I have had four retinal detachments in the same eye within a 9 month period of time. I now have a buckle and oil and they seem to have stabilized the retina. I've been told that I have an afferent pupillary defect. "The good news," the doctor said, "is that you have an eye in your head and some peripheral vision. The bad news is that refraction won't improve your vision." He went on to say that either the retina or the optic nerve is damaged and my vision will probably won't improve much.

I have since noticed that my vision substantially improves when I look straight down but becomes increasingly blurry as I raise my head. My question is: why does my vision improve when I look straight down?
It could be because when you look down, the oil is out of your line of vision or the location of your retinal detachment is such that the area of retina responsible for your inferior view is more intact.