Eye Care Expert Forum
Bifocal Lens Implant

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Bifocal Lens Implant
I have retina scarring in my left eye. My eye surgeon suggested a bifocal lens implant in my right eye, and a didtance lens in my left eye. I am having the first of my cataract surgeries this week. The distance lens in my left eye will promarily allow more light to enter, help with some colors, and depth perception, but not improve my vision due to the retina scarring. Is there a drawback to a bifocal implant in only one eye? Are there long-term complications? I have never worn contacts, but have worn progresive eye glasses in the past.
I am assuming you are talking about either a multifocal lens or an accomodative lens in the right eye as there is no bifocal lens implant.  Multifocal lenses tend to be better placed in both healthy eyes so I would advise against that.  Accomodative lens may be an option however.  A regular monofocal lens set to distance or near is likely better in your case though because you SHOULD WANT to wear glasses afterwards to protect your good eye.  I personally do not agree with making an essentially one eyed patient "glasses free" with special lenses as polycarbonate lenses in front of the good eye is necessary in all activities in order to protect the good eye from injury.  The decision rests with you and your surgeon though.

HV
As far as I know Lentis Mplus is a bifocal IOL.
The Mplus is only available in Europe and I can only speak of options available in the US and assumed you were in the US.  It is also considered a multifocal lens but does come close in design to a bifocal.  Same arguments apply as my previous post.

HV