Eye Care Community
Big Screen for Computer Work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Big Screen for Computer Work

I'm 28 years old, I'm currently having myopia, -2.50D, and astigmatism -0.50D. Last year I've had only -1.50D. And I work a lot with computers.

For computer work (mainly web pages and programming) I'm currently using a 24" LCD screen (1280x800 resolution, larger fonts) from a viewing distance of about 80 cm (31 inches). I'm thinking of switching to a big TV LCD screen of 37" or 40" (while keeping a similar resolution like 1280x800, larger fonts) which I intent to use from as far as I can (2 or more metres).

1. What do you think? Is this solution better for trying to stop progress of myopia, as the

screen will be at a larger distance?

2. What would be the ideal distance from a 37", 40" inch screen for computer work?

Thank you
Tags: computer, astigmatism, myopia, screen, big screen
It is generally well agreed among eye professionals that myopes do NOT need to avoid near tasks like reading and using a computer. The causes of myopia are complex and varied but reading/computers is not a major factor.  At your eye since you eye can focus the ideal distance is what is most comfortable for you.

JCH III MD
Thank you for your answer.

However, in your opinion, which is better for the eye: the 24" screen and a viewing distance of 80 cm or the 40" inch screen and a viewing distance of 2, 3 metres?

Your vision is better than mine was at your age.  You should be fully corrected with glasses or contacts, and not need any correction for close-up work.  Your prescription has changed a bit since last year, but I don't see any reason to worry.  I worked on computers hours a day for 25+ years and my prescription hardly changed.  I don't attribute your change to computer work, just age.  I hesitate to say, but I think you're over-compensating changing your screen resolution.

If you're interested in setting up a large screen HDTV as a monitor you should research HDTV forums.  Usually there's a section for the big screen gamer, but also sections for large computer display.

I did a little searching in my bookmarks.  Here's a couple of big screen sections, not exactly on topic but the kind of discussion you're looking for:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=e622dae05d16c5b488bdc5ea695777f4&f=26

http://www.highdefforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Cheers,
Glenn
Thank you for your answer.

>> and not need any correction for close-up work

Unfortunately i need glasses for computer near work. If I don't use them, I have to sit at about 45-50 cm from the 24" screen, and I don't see very clear either (maybe because of the astigmatism).
You're welcome.

If you need glasses to see near, but don't need them for distance you have hyperopia or farsightedness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperopia
I think she means that she has to get too close to the computer without glasses. She probably needs glasses for distance, also.

I love to view the computer with no contacts, but my eyeballs are almost on the screen. I am -7.25 in my "working" eye. My other eye is damaged.
Have you bought the larger monitor for increased viewing distance?

I'm 21 and have about -3.75 for both eyes. I first started getting nearsighted when I was in sixth grade and started playing 3 hours of computer games a day for a month and a half.

While at school, it felt like my eyes would get worse around studying time or when doing projects because I would spend entire nights researching and typing on the internet/computer. Then when exams or projects were over and my eyes could get some rest and me some more sleep, my eyesight would seem to recover slightly (not all the way tho).

Then when I went on to university, I quit all computer games, reduced as much as possible my time spent in front of the computer, and took frequent breaks when studying, letting my eyes rest for 10 seconds every 10 minutes or so. And my eyes did not worsen one bit for a whole year.

While I was at university, I got sick for a duration of a month and ended up playing a lot of computer games for a whole month and my eyesight got worse slightly.

Now, I'm considering getting into computer programming and started using the computer a lot (21 inch computer monitor) and my eyes started getting worse again.

So after about three months, I bought a projector for a $900 and just started using it as a monitor approximately three meters away from me with about a 75-80 inch display. I only started using it for the past two weeks and I can't quite tell how it's affecting my eyesight.

I wanted to know what your results were if you had gone through with the purchase of a large 40inch monitor.