Eye Care Expert Forum
Bilateral nuclear congenital cataract

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Bilateral nuclear congenital cataract
I am 32years old and diagnosed in childhood with Bilateral nuclear congenital cataract and I am interested in having an eye surgery. I can read very well but I can`t see well at far. I wear glasses but I can`t drive a car.  I am a layer and I would like to take the driving license. I would like a piece of advice in that matter: is it an eye surgery the solution to my problem? could you give me some details about this surgery, the effects and risks?
Ian
If you require cataract surgery, it is generally a quick (15 minutes), painless, bloodless surgery that requires no stitches.  Recovery can be in a few days and the success rate can be as high at 98% or more.  Now, that is for a normal case.  It is unclear what your prognosis is - but this would be best case scenario.

MJK MD
do you think that after the cataract surgery I will be able to get the driving license?
Ian
It depends on your vision potential.  If your vision was good enough 5 or 10 years ago, before cataract worsened, then your chances are good.  If vision was NEVER good than you may still have poor vision even after surgery.  It all depends on how healthy the rest of the eyes are and whether or not you have amblyopia or a lazy eye.  Good Luck.

MJK MD