Binouclar Diplopia
Hi, I have been having double vision for about a month I've been to the opthamologist and have done a range of testing as I was initially sent there for having swollen optic nerves, CT scan ordered and was fine, the swollen optic nerves were diagnosed as being from acne medication I was previously on.
However, the double vision seems to be idiopathic, no signs of having any nerve palsy's.
I have had dry eye, however, I am told that does not affect binocular double vision.
I have noticed it has been getting better lately as well, but it is still there.
It only affected my driving ability once and otherwise it's fine. My question is could this be from anything else, I am healthy, although suffer cluster headaches, but what would be causing this. My opthamologist didn't seem to concerned about the issue and just said to return in 6 months time to monitor my swollen optic nerves
If you had idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) (pseudotumor cerebri) from acne medication, it is possible to have a slight cranial nerve palsy from this with resultant double vision.  If this is the case, the double vision should improve.  If you are still troubled by double vision in a few months, perhaps a prism could be incorporated into your glasses to correct this.  With binocular diplopia (double vision), the image is double with both eyes open, but you will see a single image with either eye closed.  If you still see double with one eye closed, then this is monocular diplopia, and may be due to a refractive error, ocular surface issue, cataract, etc.
Thanks for the reply!

The double vision has completely cleared up
My opthamologist stated that the optic nerve swelling is "residual swelling from accutane"

I've done a lot of internet research (bad idea) but should I be on any medication in order to reduce the swelling, all he is doing now is monitoring me and I am unsure whether that's good or bad

Also my eyes even with the double vision were never in different positions which confused me, given that a 6th nerve palsy one eye seems to slightly to align with the the other eye and it usually would occur when I would like right as far as possible

I was also anxious and noticed this after thinking I had a tumour prior to the CT scan so I'm not sure if it was anxiety as I now do not suffer since my nerves have calmed down a lot

I have also suffered anxiety due to the fact that I didn't have an MRI which could pick up something like a pontine giloma which presents with diplopia so the double vision was something on my mind for a good 3 months