Eye Care Expert Forum
Black eye for no reason

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Black eye for no reason

I was washing my face after work and noticed that I had a black eye.  It is on my right eye lid (next to my nose).  I haven't hit it (or been hit on it).  I have had no pain, swelling, or loss of vision.  What could be the cause, and should I be worried?
Maybe you coughed, sneezed or strained and caused a small vessel to burst.  It definitely can happen.  Perhaps you are on blood thinners.  If you tend to bruise easily or have bleeding gums you should see a medical doctor to be checked for a bleeding disorder.

MJK MD
Doctor,

Thanks for the answer.
A related discussion, blood in the eye was started.