Eye Care Expert Forum
Black flash in eyes (and blue spots)
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Black flash in eyes (and blue spots)

I am a 23 year old male and have been experiencing strange visual symptoms on and off over the 5-6 months. Basically the best way I can describe them is as black flashes. It almost looks like someone very quickly turned a light on and off. I can still see through the flashes, so it’s not like a total blackout, but it still is very apparent. Furthermore, it seems that during this flash or right before it (hard to tell) I experience a feeling of heat throughout my body, or even in the affected eye (the flashing seems to affect one eye or the other, though I have had ones where it seems to be in the upper center of my field of vision). The flashes occur for less than 1 second. They happen every few days as of late and usually happen only once per day.

I also experience a blue spot in my vision every once and a while that comes and goes for a few seconds or only appears once. Last night I had an episode where I saw the blue spot and it jumped several times up and to the right. Then I turned my head and saw a black flash w/ heat sensation. Then when I got up I saw the spot again and it jumped a few times around my field of vision and disappeared. The blue spots are much more apparent when looking at a white surface, though appear other times.

I have had an MRI, blood-work, EEG 5-6 months ago for muscle twitching (all tests were normal) and this flashing started around then (the muscle twitching is virtually gone). I recently had a full eye exam with dilation and even a visual field test, which were all normal.

My mother has had similar blue spots in her vision before (she has a history of migraine), though no similar flashing.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.