Black flash in eyes (and blue spots)
I am a 23 year old male and have been experiencing strange visual symptoms on and off over the 5-6 months. Basically the best way I can describe them is as black flashes. It almost looks like someone very quickly turned a light on and off. I can still see through the flashes, so it’s not like a total blackout, but it still is very apparent. Furthermore, it seems that during this flash or right before it (hard to tell) I experience a feeling of heat throughout my body, or even in the affected eye (the flashing seems to affect one eye or the other, though I have had ones where it seems to be in the upper center of my field of vision). The flashes occur for less than 1 second. They happen every few days as of late and usually happen only once per day.

I also experience a blue spot in my vision every once and a while that comes and goes for a few seconds or only appears once. Last night I had an episode where I saw the blue spot and it jumped several times up and to the right. Then I turned my head and saw a black flash w/ heat sensation. Then when I got up I saw the spot again and it jumped a few times around my field of vision and disappeared. The blue spots are much more apparent when looking at a white surface, though appear other times.

I have had an MRI, blood-work, EEG 5-6 months ago for muscle twitching (all tests were normal) and this flashing started around then (the muscle twitching is virtually gone). I recently had a full eye exam with dilation and even a visual field test, which were all normal.

My mother has had similar blue spots in her vision before (she has a history of migraine), though no similar flashing.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dear tg822,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD specializing in neuro-ophthalmology.  With a family history of migraines, this is a definte possibility.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California