Eye Care Community
Blasted in the eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blasted in the eye

Five days ago I got into a fight. I took a nice blow directly to my eye and another to my nose. My eye is very swollen. The white of my eye is completely red with blood. I've had a five day headache now just in the 1/4 of my head near the eye. When I look any direction but straight with my eye it sends a shooting pain through my head.  blew my nose the other day and it seemed to push fluid or air into the area around my eye and made it puff up (more) and close shut right away. Im havig trouble at work the last couple days. Im dzzy all the time and feel very tired at all times despite getting enough sleep at night. I been having to leave work after lunch to come home and take a nap.
     What i'm getting at here is I dont know if I should go to the hospital. I dont have my own Doctor so if I do go it will be the ER. Is it worth the money i'm gonna have to spend there or am I just going through the normal pain of being punched in the eye?
Find an ophthalmologist rather than going to the ER.  

Dr. O.
Yes, yes, yes...see an Opthamalogist right away not an ER doctor.  Having just been through a retinal detachment nightmare, I went to an Optometrist first and that was a mistake.  My retinal specialist has told me since, when it's your eye go to the specialist FIRST, you can lose precious time that can make a difference if there is a problem.  The Opthamalogist (not Optometrist - big difference) is your best bet and if you need another kind of specialist from there, he can send you there.