Eye Care Community
Bleeding behind eye...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Bleeding behind eye...

Saw an OD yesterday who confirms what I have is bleeding behind the eye. Painless but hampering my vision. He has referred me to a specialist, but I'm really needing the risks of activities while I wait... What can make it worse?  What is the treatment and how is it done? If anyone knows, I will be eternally grateful. I think he didn't want to scare me by dumping too much information At once and overwhelming. I do not have diabetes I DO have hbp.  But it has been well into the high normal range with treatments. Anything about severity, treatment, recovery, sight after!? Would be amazing!  
Thanks soo much krista
Giving you information to understand what is wrong with you and telling you what activities you may or may not do is not owerwhelming you its the proper thing to do. Make a list of your questions and call the optom's office NOW. I cannot give you any useful information.

JCH MD
Hi Krista,
I agree with Dr. Hagan in that your Doctor owes you more information NOW.  I too had some Doctors (Retina Specialits) that only gave me short and incomplete answers to my questions when I first started seeing them.  Guess I was intimidated by their method of "talking down" to their patients and the way they rush you out of the appointment.

With time and several appointments I became more confident and learned how to insert more specific questions before they cut me off and rushed me out.   I suggest you do your research and learn their terms.  Also, prioritize your questions because their attention span is usually short because of how busy they are.  

Don't hesitate to call the office and tell his tech that you have additional questions and left your appointment unclear on some important aspects.  Then, perhaps the Doctor will return your phone call when he has time and simply answer your questions and concerns over the phone.  

I found with one of my Retina Spec. that he was much more talkative on his drive home from his office at the end of the day when he returned my call from his car phone.

Wish I could help answer your questions but I don't have experience with what you are going thru.  Good luck and get empowered...these Doctors are working for us and need to know how much information their patients want.
I knew I was going in to see the Retina specialist on Monday and so did he. He was actually really good - just a bit brief. Have been just utilizing common sense as when I'm more active, I notice much more the spotty vision...makes sense - as with any bleeding - the more you move, the more you bleed.... But he didn't want to give a full picture (got the broad strokes - 5% chance of it repairing itself, more common treatment is injection into eye or laser surgery, etc) but he is erring on the side of caution as the retina specialist will be the final word and ultimate treater of this. There's just very little about it to research... So I feel like I'm flying blind (pun... Bad), so to speak. I will definitely have a written list for specialist!!  Will probably call OD to see if he has any restrictions I need to concern myself about...  I've dealt with pretty much every body part there is - skeletal and internal - the eye is a WHOLE new realm...
-