Eye Care Expert Forum
Bleeding tear ducts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Bleeding tear ducts
A while back I had a situation where I was having severe nose bleeds that would bleed like a running facet for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes at a time and along with it I would also bleed from the tear ducts. It lasted for about 4 days and the bleeding would occur 4 or 5 times a day. When I went to the emergency room they did not know what it was and did not give me anything to treat it. It has not re-occurred since. Any ideas as to what this might be?
Briefly, the nosebleeds are a problem that needs to be looked at by an (ENT) ear, nose and throat doctor.  The blood was also able to find its way up the nasolacrimal duct (which usually brings excess tears into the nose) and through the nasolacrimal sac, through the lacrimal canaliculus and out onto the surface of the conjuctiva of the eye and eyelids.  The bottom line problem is the nose bleeds and the blood went "upstream" if you will against the normal flow from the nose to the eye.  Sorry, but it's really and ENT doc.

MJK MD
Dear Kellyy1000,

There is a direct connection from the eye via the tear duct drainage system into the nose.  It is possible that you experienced some reflux through that system.  I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD.

Dr Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California