Eye Care Expert Forum
Blind for a few seconds

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blind for a few seconds

When I stand up suddenly and quickly, I sometimes lose my vision for a few seconds and my head feels fuzzy plus my eyes feel a little puffy. The blackness starts from around the edges and it doesn't always manage to cover up my entire sight, but when it does, it usually lasts longer. Is this an eye problem? Or is it just because there wasn't enough blood in my head? Does that mean there is a problem somewhere else in my body?
It could well be orthostatic hypotension but the same thing sometimes occurs in pseudotumor cerebri and with some heart conditions especially slow rythms.

See an Eye MD and see a Internist or GP to be sure.

JCH III MD
You may have a condition called orthostatic hypotension where the blood pools in the lower body (usually the feet), the lack of vision is caused by this lower blood pressure. Try standing up slowly and see if the condition remedies itself. For a good example check wikipedia or http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/medical/orthostatic.html .