Eye Care Community
Blisters on eyelids?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blisters on eyelids?

Hi... I am 35 yo female who lives in the Northeast reagion of the US. I recently (approx. 1+ month ago) took notice to what appears to be small red blisters/bumps on both upper eyelids. I am also experienciencing some problems in my RUQ area... but I believe they are unrelated.

Anyway- I have searched and searched the internet for some ideas as to what may be the reason for my eye problem- but have come up with nothing! The little red marks are most prominent in the morning when I awaken, but can be seen all day/night. They range from from just below my eyebrow to the outermost corner of the eye. It is bilateral and ther is no oozing or "whitehead" features to them. I may also have one on the bridge of my nose as well.

The strangest part of these marks is that they heal as others appear. Needless to say... it is driving me absolutely MAD! Before going to my PCP, I  thought I'd try a post on here first. If anyone knows of, has heard of, or has experienced anything like this- please feel free to share your information--- if nothing else... it may reduce my obsession with this matter!

Thanks---
A number of things might cause that from skin allergies to certain virus infections of the lids to several primary dermatology problems. You likely will need to see an Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist for a definitive diagnosis.

JCH IIIMD
Thank you for your response to my post. I thought I might add a few details before consulting an Eye MD... unfortunately, I am an Emergency Medicine Coder and therefore I see all sorts of charts with patients having so many different problems, that I have an internal impulse to try and come up with a diagnosis beforehand!!

Prior to finding this problem, I started usuing a new conditioner on my hair and a new concealer make-up on my face. Though I say "new" make-up, it is a brand I have used for a long time, but bought a "NEW" container- it does claim to have age-defying powers...

Do you think either of these could be the culprits?

I have also been under an extreme ammount of stress recently.. and the weather is changing and my face is not quite as oily as usual. Maybe a bad eyebrow wax could cause this??

In your opinion; what type of viral infections could cause this sort of problem?  Thanks so much--
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Many cosmetics and perfumed soaps and other "beauty" products can cause problems around the eye. Examples fingernail polish and remover, hair and eyebrow coloring agents are common.

Virus might include Herpes simplex and herpes zoster and chickenpox in kids.

JCH III MD
Hmm... thanks yet again! I really hate to continue bothering you-- but when you say nail poish/remover- do you mean that wearing a nail polish could induce this kind of reaction- or touching the area with the nail polish?

For instance- if I have polish on my toes (which I do), could just wearing one that I am "allergic" to affect the eyes? Or would it be more like finger nails, then touching my face?

I had questioned the possibility of Zoster/ because of the pain I have in my RUQ (which could be described as the gallbladder area). But from what I could find on that subject, the area would be worse and would only affect one side of the body?

Your answers are greatly appreciated!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I have had patients that when they put on fresh nail polish it bothered their eyelids/eyes. I don't know whether its contact with the eyes or the fumes.

Zoster would not likely cause abdominal pain and pain in head/eye. It typically only affacets one side of the body and just one dermatoma (an aread of skin served by a specific nerve.

And zoster just hurts more and more and in 3-5 days the skins starts to blister and then the diagnosis is very obvious.

JCH IIIMD