Eye Care Expert Forum
Blood Vessel in Eye Pops

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blood Vessel in Eye Pops
I am a Highs School teacher and between class period , I gone into my office to put some papers up and came out to visit with my students when a student came up to me and said " hi".. to me and then quickly said,"Whoa"..what 's wrong with your eye. I didn't  know what he meant , so I went to the men's restroom and checked out my eye and found that a blood  vessel in my eye had popped. I wasn't even aware that it had happened. I was in no pain and my eye felt normal.But it looked very bad. Especailly underneath my lower eyelid and away from the outside of my eye . I guessing this is due to gravity. This happened  around 2:30 pm. It's been two days now..and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help get rid of the blood in  my eye. To help the eye absorb the blood. Is this a serious condition where I need to go see the doctor? Do I need to put cold pack on it? Should I get eye drops to put in my eye? My eye looks just as red as it was the first day.. I really am wondering if it is still bleeding? If it is still bleeding , would I know that? Anyhow like I said, I don't know what caused it to happen. I do not have high blood pressure.
Is there anything I shoud do to help it heal or to get the red out and clear up.
This can occur from coughing, straining, sneezing, or rubbing the eye.  Often, the person is on aspirin or other blood thinners, which makes the tiny ruptured vessel bleed more rather than clot quickly.  Generally it is harmless and called a subconjunctival hemorrhage.  If your eye hurts, vision is worse, you remember getting hit in the eye, you see flashes or floaters or eye is protruding or bulging out, then you should see your ophthalmologist.  Otherwise it will go away in a week or two all by itself.  There is no way to make it go away faster.  The body will reabsorb the blood just like a bruise.

MJK MD
A related discussion, popped blood vessel in my eye was started.