Eye Care Expert Forum
Blood shot eyes and white ring half way around Iris

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I noticed around the 17th of this month I had a white dot on the side of my left eye on the edge of the iris.  I'm pretty sure it was from my contacts but not sure exactly why.  After about 2 days, the dot went away and i didn't wear my contacts at all since then just to be safe.  Well, yesterday I decided to try out my contacts again and after i took them out at night, I noticed both my eyes were bloodshot red.  I wore my contacts for about 8 hours yesterday.  I woke up this morning and noticed my eyes are still bloodshot but I also have a white ring going about about half way around the bottom of both my irises.  Only side effects I have is that my eyes feel tired like I want to sleep.  I don't have any blurry vision or any other problems.  My question is, what is the problem and if I have to go to the ER to get it checked out. Or if I can wait till tomorrow morning to go to my health center at my college.  I can provide pictures if necessary.  
I would stay away from the contacts and take them with you and go to an ophthalmologist to examine your eyes today and see what is going on.  In the absence of pain, I wonder if you may have lack of oxygen to the cornea from improperly fitting contacts.  You do need a good exam to be sure.

HV
Thanks for the response.  I went today and I had scratches on my cornea in both eyes. I probably rubbed my eyes too much and scratched them with my contacts in.  I was prescribed an antibiotic and steroid combo which seems to be working pretty well already.  Thanks again for the help.