Bloody Tears
My 10 month old girl has had a low grade fever for 3 nights with a cough and runny nose.  Today, she began coughing so hard that her tears were bloody.  Not knowing what the hell was going on, my husband ran her to the emergency room and I go online.  The doctor at the hospital says she has pink eye.  However her eyes were not red before she went to the hospital. To me - ofcourse I am not a doctor - it sounds like she had a subconjunctival hemorrage.  Just from reading as much as I could in the last hour, but I don't know.  She did have puss coming out of her eyes for 2 days but that stopped yesterday.  Could the puss have caused pink eye like the doctor said??  He perscribed her eye drops and antibbiotics.  Do I give?
I would give the antibiotic eye drops. "Bloody tears" from one eye can sometimes be a sign of problems in the tear duct drainage system but if it was from both eyes it almost surely was from the surface of the eye. A subconjuctival hemorrhage is kind of like a 'blood blister' in that the blood is below the outer layer and rarely works its way to the surface.

Probably a "hemorrhagic" form of conjunctivitis. That's why I would use the anitbiotic drops. Check in with your pediatrician tomorrow before the long holiday pull.

JCH IIII MD