Eye Care Community
Blue tint in the Sclera

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blue tint in the Sclera

Hi, i am a 19 year old female and have been dizzy (lightheaded sensation) for about 4 months. I had a few blood test done, and the ESR is raised. I have now noticed that the white of my eyes have a blue tint to them and was wondering what it was. I have had an MRI done and nothing was picked up. I am still dizzy (Lightheaded sensation) and am wondering what it could be?

Charlotte
You could just be a very lightly pigmented person or just noticing some of the uveal pigment showing through some thinner areas in the sclera/conjuctiva.  I'm not sure why you have focused in on this characteristic but it may not be related to your  other more serious problems.  You need to have a baseline eye exam with ophthalmologist anyway - because you, yourself are seeing something in your eyes that does not seem normal.  I can't see your eyes so I can only speculate and that's not  good enough.

MJK MD
You might want to check with your doctor about your iron levels--especially since you're a young female. I'm not a doctor (just a hypochondriac :) ), but I did read online that sometimes iron deficiency or anemia can cause a slight blue tint in your eyes. Might have something to do with the lightheadedness, too. Just something to consider. Hope your questions are answered!
i have brown eyes, but my sclera is a very light blue tint. it does not look  like it does in most pictures of it thinning. the white is just tinted blue. it's the color a few people with blue/green eyes have. is there anything wrong or is it normal
Blue tinted sclera and light-headed, could correlate with a connective tissue / collagen disease.  More specifically I would be concerned with Ehler's Danlos syndromes which can present with dizzyness due to abnormalities in blood flow  through your aorta (large vessel coming off of the heart), or postural orthostatic tachycardia which causes fluctuations in heart rate.  Both of these result in dizzyness, and may have other symptoms associated with them such as palpitations, racing heart beats, and sometimes chest pain.  Blue sclera are also found in osteogenesis imperfecta.  An MRI of your head would not have detected either of these diagnosis