Eye Care Community
Blunt force eye trauma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blunt force eye trauma

My brother was in a skydiving accident and in his landing he hit a frence at 35 mph. His left eye was swollen out of hia head for 3 weeks while he was in a comma and on an ECMO machine. It has been 34 days since the accident and he is no longer in ICU, he is in the trauma ward. An eye doctor came in today and tested his eyes for the 3 rd time.

The eye doctor said that justins left eye doesnt constrict with light. And that when the dr examined his eye, the upper part of his optic nerve looks grey and that normally means that it is damaged.. Once the optic nerve is damaged, there is no treatment and it is permanent....
My brother states that he can see his periphals in his left eye but he can only see a greyish brown color in the center of his view of the left eye....

My question is.... Since the accident took place 34 days ago, isnt it to early to determine that his eye is permantly blind... Isnt it possible that the eye can regain strength in 4-6 months??? I mean, my brothers spine and lungs are still in the heqling process, why wouldnt his eye still be in the healing process also???
It is very difficult to do a complete eye exam on a bedfast, hospitalized patient. A much more complete exam can be done when he's able to go to the ophthalmologist's office and use all the specialized equipment that cannot be brought to the bedside.

Yes it is too early to tell. If possible ask the managing doctors to get a second opinon from a different ophthalmologist.

And remember the importance of protecting the good eye from injuryor disease.

JCHM D